6.559 Qs: Literature search, Nepali, Hist of @ sign, Vowels after [hw]

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Apr 13 23:09:08 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-559. Thu 13 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 139

Subject: 6.559 Qs: Literature search, Nepali, Hist of @ sign, Vowels after [hw]

                           REMINDER

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 13:45:48 -0600 (CST)
From: Niels van der Mast (Niels.vanderMast at let.ruu.nl)
Subject: query: literature on lexical means to invoke strong/weak commitment

2)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 09:55:06 +0100
From: Gilles.Boye at linguist.jussieu.fr (Gilles Boye)
Subject: Nepali

3)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 07:49:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Henry Rogers (rogers at epas.utoronto.ca)
Subject: query

4)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 08:24:14 -0400
From: Alexis Manaster Ramer (amr at CS.Wayne.EDU)
Subject: Q: vowel changes after [hw]

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 13:45:48 -0600 (CST)
From: Niels van der Mast (Niels.vanderMast at let.ruu.nl)

Query: literature on lexical means to invoke strong/weak commitment

Dear netters,

In the area of modal auxiliaries, the distinctions between
"desires/permission" and "certainties/obligations" (want/may vs.
shall/must), or between "possibilities" and "certainties/
necessities" (can/may vs. shall/must) are well described. In my
research project I am investigating the way interaction and/or
collaboration influences (i.a.) the linguistic form of texts. From
looking at some data, it became apparent that writers frequently
in fact use LEXICAL means to invoke the same difference that is so
well known in the area of modals. Sometimes they are writing with a
high degree of commitment as to the contents or outcome of certain
policies (using predicates like "is necessary", "is unavoidable"),
but especially for lesser degrees of commitment, a whole lot of
different things can be used (some aspect "will receive attention",
or some type of action "is to be preferred", etcetera).

Now what I would like to know is if there is any literature in which
lexical meanings, esp. of verbs and adjectives, are discussed/
analyzed in terms of such distinctions as are common in the area of
modals.

I'll be happy to post a summary of the responses to the net.

Thanks in advance!
--Niels

Niels van der Mast
Centre for Language and Communication - Utrecht University
Trans 10
3512 JK  Utrecht
The Netherlands

phone:  +31 30 - 53 8087 (office)