6.573 Qs: References, Russian speakers, Japanese Sign Lg, E-mail sign

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Apr 16 23:37:11 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-573. Sun 16 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 148

Subject: 6.573 Qs: References, Russian speakers, Japanese Sign Lg, E-mail sign

                           REMINDER

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 11:53:38 -0500 (CDT)
From: mhansell at carleton.edu (Mark Hansell-Mai Hansheng)
Subject: Queries: folk-etymology, FAITHFULNESS

2)
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 23:38:28 -0500 (EST)
From: Ari Solovyova (asolovyo at indiana.edu)
Subject: HELP! Need advanced Russian speakers!

3)
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 16:02:48 +0900
From: Martin LANGE (langem at mn.waseda.ac.jp)
Subject: Qs: Sign Language and Deaf Organizations in Japan

4)
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 08:54:01 +0000 (GMT)
From: Ahlqvist at UCG.IE
Subject: E-mail sign

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 11:53:38 -0500 (CDT)
From: mhansell at carleton.edu (Mark Hansell-Mai Hansheng)

I would greatly appreciate citations for:
        1) a standard definition of folk etymology, if there is one.  Is
this a concept that's just in the air, that everyone is so clear on that no
one has ever given a standard definition?  Or if there's a relatively
standard definition, where can I find it?
        2) In some of the formalist literature on linguistic borrowing or
code-switching, there is reference made to a principle of FAITHFULNESS.
What is the origin of this principle?

Thanks!

Mark Hansell
Asian Languages Department