6.629, Affricates

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Apr 30 20:01:48 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-629. Sun 30 Apr 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 123

Subject: 6.629, Affricates

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 16:01:04 -0400
From: Alexis Manaster Ramer (amr at CS.Wayne.EDU)
Subject: Re:  6.610, Affricates

2)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 17:01:56 -0400
From: "Sarah G. Thomason" (sally at isp.pitt.edu)

3)
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 95 17:30:01 CST
From: halasz at kewszeg.norden1.com (Hala'sz Sa'ndor)

4)
Date:         Thu, 27 Apr 95 20:26:36 EDT
From: Jack (JAREA at UKCC.UKY.EDU)

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 16:01:04 -0400
From: Alexis Manaster Ramer (amr at CS.Wayne.EDU)

I am glad to have Don Churma come out and confirm that I am not
hallucinating when I say there is such a thing a a [t+S] vs. [tS]
contrast in some languages, incl. my native Polish (where it has
been well-known for ages; it is even mentioned in Bloomfield's
Lg).  I am puzzled by Marc Picard's statement that there is
no difference between French *tch* and English *ch*, since the
former is not aspirated in environments where the latter is,
for example.  On the other hand, I agree with him that (in
the speech of my informant at the time anyway), French did have
a one-segment [tS], not the [t-S] mentioned by Churma.
Maybe different speakers differ (such segments being restricted
to foreign words, if I am not mistaken, whre variation is expected).

But whatever the situation in French, the contrast itself is alive
and well, e.g., in Polish, and in the speech of some English speakers
too, as I keep pointing out.

Alexis MR