6.1111, Qs: French Aspect, Ladino & Haquiti'a, German

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Aug 16 19:46:25 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1111. Wed Aug 16 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  107

Subject: 6.1111, Qs: French Aspect, Ladino & Haquiti'a, German

                           REMINDER

Date:  Wed, 16 Aug 1995 11:25:32 EDT
From:  decaen at epas.utoronto.ca (Vincent DeCaen)
Subject:  Q? French aspect

2)
Date:  Wed, 16 Aug 1995 13:05:58 CDT
From:  KOZONOJ at gunet.georgetown.edu ("Joseph M. Kozono")
Subject:   Query on Ladino & Haquiti'a

3)
Date:  Wed, 16 Aug 1995 20:25:13 +0700
From:  H.A.Y.Wolf at stud.let.ruu.nl ("Henk Wolf")
Subject:  German verbal complex without IPP?

Date:  Wed, 16 Aug 1995 11:25:32 EDT
From:  decaen at epas.utoronto.ca (Vincent DeCaen)

my question arises from Olsen's 1994 diss on tense-aspect.  it is
standardly assumed that, e.g., aimait is both past and imperfect
*combined*. but I wonder about its synchronic status in spoken French.
it seems to me that you have a simple past/nonpast contrast over three
constructions: simple stem; aux "have" + participle; and infinitives with
enclitic "have", thus proportionately:

aim-e : aim-ait :: a aime':av-ait aime' :: aim-er-a : aim-er-ait

if this analysis is correct for French, would it not be better to
assume aimait is the "simple past tense"????????? why not let the
aspect come "for free" as a "default" interpretation.

just musing.