6.1113, Disc: Kinship terms, re: 1104, 1108, 1110

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Aug 17 14:43:29 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1113. Thu Aug 17 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  118

Subject: 6.1113, Disc: Kinship terms, re: 1104, 1108, 1110

Date:  Wed, 16 Aug 1995 18:33:54 PDT
From:  alderson at netcom.com (Richard M. Alderson III)
Subject:  Re: 6.1108 & 6.1110

2)
Date:  Thu, 17 Aug 1995 00:24:46 CDT
From:  pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu (Peter Daniels)
Subject:  Re:  6.1110, Disc: Kinship Terms, Re: 1100, 1108

3)
Date:  Wed, 16 Aug 1995 15:04:15 CST
From:  MLRLM at VM.CC.OLEMISS.EDU (Rebecca Larche Moreton)
Subject:  Re: 6.1108, Disc: Kinship Terms, Re: 1100, 1104

4)
Date:  Wed, 16 Aug 1995 16:00:25 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)

Date:  Wed, 16 Aug 1995 18:33:54 PDT
From:  alderson at netcom.com (Richard M. Alderson III)

The question of kinship vocatives needs to take into account regional dialect
as well as sociolect.  Allan Wechsler, for example, comments on the apparent
absence of vocatives for "brother", noting "bub" and "bud" as historical (by
which I assume he means no longer current).  In the dialect area in which I was
born, "Bubba" is alive and well, along with "Sissy" (sometimes spelled "Cissy"
when used as a nickname).

Richard Hudson reports a statement by Stavros Macrakis, that "son" is only used
as a vocative by fathers.  Y'all need to come to a family gathering of the
Aldersons and their kin; mothers as well as fathers have no hesitation with the
use of "son" as a vocative.

Later, David Silva commented on the use of "boy" among European Portuguese
elder males.  My grandfather is still known to his nieces and nephews, and
their offspring, as "Uncle Boy"--as the only son, neither his parents nor his
four sisters found it necessary to call him by name.

Mr. Silva also asked whether "bro" originated within Black English.  To the
best of my knowledge, it did; it seems to have moved into other dialects with a
certain political viewpoint attached, one which it did not lose until its use
on television programmes such as _Beverly Hills 90210_ as a generic term of
affection between male friends.

Just muddying the waters further.

Rich Alderson