6.1163, Qs: Kurylowicz, *Suite*, Freq of stops, Clicks and "glamour"

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Aug 28 17:27:45 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1163. Mon Aug 28 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  115

Subject: 6.1163, Qs: Kurylowicz, *Suite*, Freq of stops, Clicks and "glamour"

                           REMINDER

Date:  Sat, 26 Aug 1995 17:54:08 EDT
From:  decaen at epas.utoronto.ca (Vincent DeCaen)
Subject:  Q? Kurylowicz

2)
Date:  Sat, 26 Aug 1995 19:27:47 EST
From:  simon at CVAX.IPFW.INDIANA.EDU
Subject:  Pronunciations of *suite*

3)
Date:  Sat, 26 Aug 1995 22:58:36 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Q: Relative Frequencies of Different Stops

4)
Date:  Sun, 27 Aug 1995 13:01:53 +1000
From:  jodea at mailhost.dpie.gov.au (Julian O'Dea)
Subject:  clicks and "glamour"

Date:  Sat, 26 Aug 1995 17:54:08 EDT
From:  decaen at epas.utoronto.ca (Vincent DeCaen)

I'm wondering if anyone can identify the source of the notation system
Jerzy Kurylowicz uses in his work on verbal systems.  He uses a
diamond shape, marking off the corners with A,B,capital gamma at top
down the left; at the base and up the right side are lower case alpha,
beta, gamma.  His central contrasts are between a capital vs lower
case, e.g., A vs beta; minor axes are between all caps, eg., A vs B,
or all lower case, e.g, beta vs gamma.  In some work he uses a double
line as the axis between minor contrasts.  he seems to think the
symbol system very important in his calculus.  perhaps it is from
Meillet; or something from the eastern Prague school??  I feel that if
I can identify the source, I would better understand what he's trying
to do in his analysis of the Semitic verbal systems.