6.1164, Qs: Scientific terms, Modals, Knowledge rep, Eugene O'Neill

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Aug 28 17:35:26 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1164. Mon Aug 28 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  175

Subject: 6.1164, Qs: Scientific terms, Modals, Knowledge rep, Eugene O'Neill

                           REMINDER

Date:  Sun, 27 Aug 1995 13:21:57 EDT
From:  sgriffin at nsf.gov (Steve Griffin)
Subject:  Scientific Terms and Disciplinary Context

2)
Date:  Mon, 28 Aug 1995 16:15:21 +0200
From:  hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp (hiro-t)
Subject:  Query: can't / must not / mustn't

3)
Date:  Mon, 28 Aug 1995 09:47:00 BST
From:  hamp at heidelbg.ibm.com (Birgit Hamp)
Subject:  knowledge representation

4)
Date:  Mon, 28 Aug 1995 20:55:06 +1000
From:  byang at chonbuknms.chonbuk.ac.kr (Byong-seon Yang)
Subject:  Asking Video Tapes  written by Eugene O'Neill

Date:  Sun, 27 Aug 1995 13:21:57 EDT
From:  sgriffin at nsf.gov (Steve Griffin)

I am collecting examples of terms occuring frequently in scientific
discourse which have different meanings across disciplines.  I see this as
one source of problems of communication at interdisciplinary scientific
workshops.

Examples of such terms which I have observed being used (differently) at
workshops include:

"system"
-  in the engineering and the physical sciences communities  "system" is
more likely to be used to connote static, dynamic and functionally
deterministic assemblages; in others "system" might also include animate,
stochastic, adaptive complexes and processes

"object"
-  in some disciplines "object" refers solely to physical entities; in
others, it includes abstract structures, processes and relationships; in
still others "object" can refer to anything that anyone can conceive of

"model"
-  the implications of the term "model" varies greatly according to
discipline: logical models,  computational "models",  mathematical
"models", molecular "models" , economic models, etc.  suggest very
different source <-> model relationships and transform functions

I would be very grateful for any examples anyone might offer.   I would
also be interested in personal vignettes describing the discusive
situations in which these terms may have been used differently.

Stephen M. Griffin
sgriffin at nsf.gov