6.1762, All: International Conferences in Linguistics

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Dec 21 16:25:43 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1762. Thu Dec 21 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  93

Subject: 6.1762, All: International Conferences in Linguistics

Editor for this issue: aristar at tam2000.tamu.edu (Anthony M. Aristar)

Date:  Wed, 20 Dec 2095 11:00:35 EST
From:  ppp at CS.Fearh.COM (Palto Parsa)
Subject:  International Conference fee

2)
Date:  Sun, 17 Dec 1995 21:04:09 CST
From:  pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu (Peter Daniels)
Subject:  Re:  6.1759, All: XVIth International Congress of Linguists

3)
Date:  Mon, 18 Dec 1995 17:07:11 -0300
From:  hiho at guarany.cpd.unb.br (hildo honorio do couto)

Date:  Wed, 20 Dec 2095 11:00:35 EST
From:  ppp at CS.Fearh.COM (Palto Parsa)

The extraordinarily high fee which the XVIth International Congress
of Linguists seems to me to be just a symbol of a rather sad fact:
the ICL has never really lived up to its potential, and is out of
touch with the body of linguists.  If it weren't, it would never
even consider such a (to most linguists) impossible fee.  Most
linguists have no dealings at all with it; many are even unaware of
its existence.

In fact, it seems to me that there is only one genuinely international,
widely recognized organization in linguistics: LINGUIST itself. It's
hard to find anyone in linguistics who hasn't heard of it, and most
linguists use it, in one way or another, even if only to find out
what jobs are available.

So here's a (serious) suggestion: if we really want an international
conference in linguistics, let's organize one around LINGUIST.  "The 1st
International LINGUIST Conference" doesn't have a bad ring; and think of
seeing all the e-mail personalities we know so well in the flesh.  My
guess is that it would work wonderfully; and we could make sure that
it would be an awful lot cheaper than the ICL...