6.1763, Disc: Levin & Rappaport Hovav (1995)

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Dec 21 16:29:38 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1763. Thu Dec 21 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  76

Subject: 6.1763, Disc: Levin & Rappaport Hovav (1995)

Editor for this issue: aristar at tam2000.tamu.edu (Anthony M. Aristar)

Date:  Mon, 18 Dec 1995 07:59:36 EST
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Re:  6.1760, Review: Levin & Rappaport Hovav (1995)

2)
Date:  Mon, 18 Dec 1995 08:12:26 +0500
From:  sowa at west.poly.edu (John F. Sowa)

Date:  Mon, 18 Dec 1995 07:59:36 EST
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)

Two quick comments/questions:

(1) It has always seemed to me that the unaccusative hypothesis is
dealing with the same phenomena as Georgij A. Klimov's theory of what
he calls an 'active typology' or 'active construction' (I don't
think there is a good way of rendering Russian 'aktivnyj stroj'
in our impoverished insular tongue (:-), but neither side seems
to ever admit that the other exists--or am I missing something?

(2) Prof. Shaumyan refers to 'deep structure' as an 'obsolte
concept'.  If he is right, I would of course be delighted, but is
it really obsolete?  (And if not, how can we help along to its
deserved demise?).

Alexis MR