6.149 Qs: Latvian, Sign singing, Mother-infant interaction, Amerind

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Feb 3 19:18:46 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-149. Fri 03 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 110

Subject: 6.149 Qs: Latvian, Sign singing, Mother-infant interaction, Amerind

                           REMINDER

Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 14:58:25 +0000 (GMT)
From: martinha at fub46.zedat.fu-berlin.de (Martin Haspelmath)
Subject: language policy in Latvia

2)
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 1995 13:37:42 +0800
From: "RANDY J. LAPOLLA" (HSLAPOLLA at ccvax.sinica.edu.tw)
Subject: sign language singing

3)
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 1995 23:31:43 +0000 (GMT)
From: "D.C. Vigil" (D.C.Vigil at newcastle.ac.uk)
Subject: prelingual mother-infant interaction in chinese pop

4)
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 95 09:18 GMT
From: richardc at cogs.susx.ac.uk (Richard Coates)
Subject: Amerind ethnic name etymology

Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 14:58:25 +0000 (GMT)
From: martinha at fub46.zedat.fu-berlin.de (Martin Haspelmath)

I am interested in references to reports on the recent language policy
situation in Latvia. There was a report recently on German public TV that
painted a rather worrying picture, showing that knowledge of the Latvian
language is sometimes required of Russian-speaking Estonians even where it
makes no sense. From the report it was difficult to avoid the impression that
"linguistic human rights" violations are normal in present-day Latvia.
I am particularly interested in reports by neutral observers, perhaps
Western journalists and human rights groups.

Thanks a lot,
Martin Haspelmath