6.148 Qs: Cheb, Object suffixes on verbs, Jobs in NLP, Tagging French

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Feb 3 19:01:57 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-148. Fri 03 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:

Subject: 6.148 Qs: Cheb, Object suffixes on verbs, Jobs in NLP, Tagging French

                           REMINDER

Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 17:28:31 -0500
From: JPKIRCHNER at aol.com
Subject: Query: "Cheb"

2)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 16:02:09 -0800 (PST)
From: Simon Corston (corston at humanitas.ucsb.edu)
Subject: Object suffixes on verbs

3)
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 1995 10:57:16 +0500
From: Mark Aronoff (MARONOFF at Datalab2.sbs.sunysb.edu)
Subject: jobs in NLP?

4)
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 95 10:11:50 -0500
From: evelyne at research.att.com
Subject: Tagging  French

Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 17:28:31 -0500
From: JPKIRCHNER at aol.com

This is trivial, so skip it if you're busy.

The Czech Republic has a city bordering on Bavaria called Cheb (German
"Eger").  The "ch" in the name is pronounced as a voiceless palatal central
fricative, as in German "ich", "China", or "Chirurg".  Despite the presence
of this sound word-initially in German as well, most German tourists (and
railway ticket agents) seem to pronounce the name with an initial affricate,
as in English "chin".  This was very perplexing for my Czech high school
students, who would have expected German pronunciation identical to the
Czech, or for some Germans [keb], or perhaps even the anglophone favorite
[heb].

The only explanation any of us could come up with was that English is so
widely and well taught in Germany that Germans may tend to pronounce
unfamiliar foreignisms according to English spelling conventions.

Does anyone know the real reason, or know of similar cases?

James Kirchner