6.201 Origin of sycophant

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Feb 13 07:06:24 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-201. Mon 13 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 121

Subject: 6.201 Origin of sycophant

Date: Fri, 03 Feb 1995 09:02:19 -0500 (CDT)
From: CONNOLLY at MSUVX1.MEMPHIS.EDU
Subject: Sycophants: fig "show-ers"?

2)
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 1995 10:02:24 -0700 (MST)
From: WDEREUSE at CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: 6.146 Sum: Sycophant and Sign of the fig

3)
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 1995 10:54:09 -0500 (EST)
From: BLUCHER at UMBC2.UMBC.EDU
Subject: "Sycophant", more.

Date: Fri, 03 Feb 1995 09:02:19 -0500 (CDT)
From: CONNOLLY at MSUVX1.MEMPHIS.EDU

I don't do much etymology, but:

Several readers have claimed that _sicophant_ is derived from the Greek words
for 'fig' (sikos) and 'show' (phaino:).  The first part is surely correct, but
the second seems problematic, since the relevant participle forms of _phaino:_
would be present _phainont-_ and aorist _phanont-_.  Without a Greek grammar or
dictionary at hand, I would suggest rather that we look at the athematic Greek
verb _phe:mi_ (Doric _pha:mi) 'speak', which does have a participle _phant-_.
So maybe the sicophant is the 'fig-talker' rather than the 'fig-shower'.  The
semantic connection, of course, would be that his words were sweet to the ear;
and certainly sicophants do more sweet-talking than fig-showing.

What do you think?  Has this etymology been proposed?  And if it has been
proposed and rejected, why?

Leo A. Connolly    Foreign Languages & Literatures    University of Memphis
connolly at msuvax.memphis.edu             Formerly "Memphis State University"