6.230 Sum: Buy, Markers of hostile language

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Feb 16 12:57:40 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-230. Thu 16 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 113

Subject: 6.230 Sum: Buy, Markers of hostile language

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 14:58:00 +0900
From: =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCRURDZiEhVyJMQBsoQg==?=
 (GCA01363 at niftyserve.or.jp)
Subject: Summary: buy, etc.

2)
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 95 20:34 CST
From: ocls at sibylline.com (george elgin, suzette elgin)
Subject: markers of hostile language

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 14:58:00 +0900
From: =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCRURDZiEhVyJMQBsoQg==?=
 (GCA01363 at niftyserve.or.jp)

Dear linguist,
   I posted a query about the acceptability of the following sentences:

  (1) She was bought a dress.
  (2) She was written a letter.
  (3) Ann needn't be the guilty one.
  (4) it doesn't always have to be my fault.

Soon after that, I got their-four responses. Thanks a lot for answering
my query.
   As to sentences (1) and (2) the result of the inqury is as follows:

                    (1)           (2)
         OK         20            21
         ?           4             4
         *          10             9

As the table above shows, about 60 percent of the repondants accepted
the sentences.  Some people, including Prof. Baxter, point out that (1)
and (2) are more commonly used with an explicit agent, as in:

  (5) She was bought a dress by her mother.
  (6) She was written a letter by the dean's office.

   As to sentences (3) and (4), almost all the people say that these
sentences are acceptable. According to some respeondants, sentence (3)
is formal, British and old-fashioned, whereas sentence (4) is informal
and more often used.

   If you have further questions about this problem, please e-mail
me directly. Anyway, your answers were very helpful to my research.
Thanks very much.

Sincerely,
Hiroaki Tanaka
Associate Professor, Faculty of Integrated Arts and Sciences,
Tokushima University, Japan.
GCA01363 at niftyserve.or.jp