6.231 Qs: Brazil/Brasil, Classroom interaction, WWW sites, Clitics

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Feb 17 06:20:07 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-231. Fri 17 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 151

Subject: 6.231 Qs: Brazil/Brasil, Classroom interaction, WWW sites, Clitics

                           REMINDER

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 1995 12:10:39 GMT
From: MJ.Ball at ulst.ac.uk
Subject: Brazil/Brasil

2)
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 1995 13:48:40 +0100
From: Fritjof.Sahlstrom at ped.uu.se (Fritjof =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sahlstr=F6m?=)
Subject: parallell verbal interaction,

3)
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 1995 09:47:23 -0800 (PST)
From: Kristina Harris (kristina at math.unr.edu)
Subject: Query: Lang. WWW sites?

4)
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 1995 14:00:12 -0500 (EST)
From: "Kelly K. Wahl" (jazykved at umich.edu)
Subject: REQUEST FOR INFORMATION: clitics

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 1995 12:10:39 GMT
From: MJ.Ball at ulst.ac.uk

At least until the 1880s, the name of the country was spelt 'Brazil'
in Brazil. However, as we know, it is now spelt 'Brasil'. Can any
experts on (Brazilian) Portugese answer these questions:
1) When was the spelling changed;
2) Was this change simply tidying up a longstanding phoneme-grapheme
mis-correspondence? If so, did this take place only in Brazilian
Portugese?
3) Was this change undertaken to reflect a recent phonological change,
and again, if so, was this only in Brazilian Portugese?
4) Was the change undertaken to reflect'phonemic' rather than phonetic
aspects of the pornunciation (i.e. is the fricative actually voiced,
but the spelling now reflects that this is purely a variant of a
basically voiceless fricative, that is found intervocalically)?

Thanks for the help!
Martin Ball
University of Ulster.