6.232 Qs: Foreign lgs in ads, Comparative lit, Stress bibliography

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Feb 17 06:27:03 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-232. Fri 17 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 116

Subject: 6.232 Qs: Foreign lgs in ads, Comparative lit, Stress bibliography

                           REMINDER

Date:         Wed, 15 Feb 95 17:36:34 MST
From: Mary Ellen Ryder (RENRYDER at idbsu.idbsu.edu)
Subject:      Foreign language in commercials

2)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 10:24:26 +0100
From: adelaide at ci.uc.pt (adelaide chichorro ferreira)
Subject: lists on comparative literature

3)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 13:04:10 +0100 (MET)
From: Jeroen van de Weijer (VDWEIJER at rullet.LeidenUniv.nl)
Subject: Stress bibliography

Date:         Wed, 15 Feb 95 17:36:34 MST
From: Mary Ellen Ryder (RENRYDER at idbsu.idbsu.edu)

Greetings!

I'm wondering if someone out there can identify the languages used in
two recent IBM commercials.  They have out a series of three ads with
people in different countries talking about IBM equipment and services.
One ad has two old gentlemen walking along what looks like the Seine,
speaking French.  A second ad has two men sitting in what is apparently
a Middle Eastern marketplace, and a third ad has nuns discussing IBM
equipment on their way to mass.  I assume the men are speaking Arabic
(though I would be grateful to have that confirmed), but I have no idea
what the nuns are speaking.  Anyone know?

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all those who responded
to my questions early last year about some French, Italian and Swedish
expressions in some print ads.  I meant to send individual thanks, but I
lost the file in which I had the respondents!  Please forgive me, and
accept this general acknowledgment instead.  If any of you who did respond
would like to know more about what we did with your input, I would
be glad to send you more information (even the paper we wrote, if you
want).

Thanks very much,
Mary Ellen

renryder at idbsu.idbsu.edu