6.233 Qs: Gender concord, If/whether, Synaesthesia, SA English

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Feb 17 06:35:18 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-233. Fri 17 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 175

Subject: 6.233 Qs: Gender concord, If/whether, Synaesthesia, SA English

                           REMINDER

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 17:09:10 EST
From: jharris at MIT.EDU
Subject: query: gender concord

2)
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 16:32:15 +0000 (GMT)
From: B R Maylor (B.R.Maylor at durham.ac.uk)
Subject: If and whether

3)
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 95 18:50:28 EST
From: sterncj at touro.edu (Faculty)
Subject: Synaesthesia

4)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 95 17:06
From: ATLDPW at puknet.puk.ac.za (Wissing, DP)
Subject: SA Engl. abnorm. +round vowels

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 17:09:10 EST
From: jharris at MIT.EDU

Note the gender concord in these Spanish examples:

(1) a. aquellas vacas  y toros   importados
       those-f  cows-f + bulls-m imported-m
      'those imported [cows and bulls]'

    b. aquellos toros y vacas importados
       those-m
      'those imported [bulls and cows]'

    c. aquellas vacas y ovejas importadas
       those-f          ewes-f imported-f
      'those imported [cows and sheep]'

(2) a. mucha  ceramica  y cristal italianos
       much-f ceramic-f + glass-m Italian-m
      'a lot of Italian [pottery and glass]'

    b. mucho  cristal y ceramica italianos
       much-m
      'a lot of Italian [glass and pottery]'

In (1) and (2) the gender of the prenominal modifiers is
determined by the adjacent noun while that of the postnominal
modifiers is determined by the entire conjunct--feminine if all
conjoined elements are feminine, masculine (actually unmarked/
default gender) otherwise--though both may or must be interpreted
as having scope over the entire conjunct. In (2) italianos (with
obligatory scope over the whole conjunct) is plural though
neither noun is.
    What syntactic structures/principles are involved in these
differences in concord between pre- and post-nominal modifiers?
Facts of comparable interest about gender (and number) must exist
in many IE languages. I would be most grateful for references to
sophisticated analyses of gender concord -- analyses that go
beyond programmatic theoretical statements and elementary text-
book examples to grapple with a rich, coherent body of data and
show how it actually works in an explicit descriptive/theoretical
framework. (I am immediately and especially interested in the
Romance languages, but would happily receive bibliography on
others as well.)
    Please reply directly to me; I will post something to the
list (only) if the response warrants it.
Thanks, James Harris