6.244 Words that are their own opposites

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Feb 18 17:29:40 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-244. Sat 18 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 116

Subject: 6.244 Words that are their own opposites

Date:          Fri, 17 Feb 1995 10:59:10 GMT0BST
From: "Paul Foulkes" (Paul.Foulkes at newcastle.ac.uk)
Subject:       Words that are their own opposites

2)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 95 10:10 EST
From: joel at wam.umd.edu (Joel M. Hoffman)
Subject: Sentences that are their own opposite

3)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 10:32:44 -0500 (EST)
From: Henrietta Hung (hhung at aix1.uottawa.ca)
Subject: Re: 6.234 Words that are their own opposites

4)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 09:57:37 +0000
From: dag.gundersen at inl.uio.no (Dag Gundersen)
Subject: Re: 6.209 Words that are their own opposites, cont.

Date:          Fri, 17 Feb 1995 10:59:10 GMT0BST
From: "Paul Foulkes" (Paul.Foulkes at newcastle.ac.uk)

has anyone yet mentioned /reIz/ - as in (raise) versus <raze (to the
ground) ?

Paul.Foulkes at newcastle.ac.uk

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 95 10:10 EST
From: joel at wam.umd.edu (Joel M. Hoffman)

While on the topic of autoantonymity, what about)sentences( that are
their own opposite?  At least one comes to mind immediately:

(1)     Don't be surpised if we don't finish by tomorrow.

The negation element can be stylistic or contentful, and so (1) is
it's own opposite.

It's in fact fairly common for some structure to allow a dummy
negation element.  In Modern Hebrew, the same sort of thing happens,
but in a wider context:

(2)     taxne efo   se   lo  timca         xanaya
        park  where Comp Neg you-will-find parking
       `Park wherever you find a spot.'

While context makes it clean that the Neg in (2) is stylistic, it
certainly could mean "Park wherever you don't find a spot."

These raise serious issues for comprehension, as the only way to
understand (1) and (2) is already to have an expectation as to what
they mean, but the infamous "space constraints do not permit a full
discussion" applies.

-Joel Hoffman
(joel at wam.umd.edu)