6.254 Consonant Insertion

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Feb 19 20:21:13 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-254. Sun 19 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 247

Subject: 6.254 Consonant Insertion

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 1995 20:55:25 -0500
From: JPKIRCHNER at aol.com
Subject: Summary:  C-insertion

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 1995 20:55:25 -0500
From: JPKIRCHNER at aol.com

Some weeks ago I posted a query as to whether anyone knew examples of
consonant insertion to separate impermissible vowel clusters, in which the
choice of consonant was NOT conditioned by its surrounding vowels.  Thanks
who all those who responded.  Their names and e-mail addresses appear with
their edited remarks.  I would welcome further comments on anything brought
up in this summary.

REASON FOR THE QUERY:
My query was prompted by work I've been doing on the Czech verb system in
which, in certain forms from certain paradigms, a glide /j/ appears that is
not present in other forms.  (Since most e-mail won't support Czech
diacritics, I'll spell all Czech forms phonetically.  An apostrophe after a
consonant indicates its palatalization.)  Typical of such verbs is the verb
[d'elat] "to do":

[d'ela:]  "he/she/it does"
[d'elaji:]  "they do"
[d'elaji:c]  active participle (plural)

In Old Church Slavonic and in Russian, this /j/ appears in all persons of the
present tense in related paradigms (e.g., Russian [d'elajet] "to do" 3rd per.
sing.) and creates a VjV sequence, which historically contracted into a long
vowel in Czech (e.g., [d'ela:]).  In most current phonological accounts of
West Slavic languages, such as Rubach (1993), this /j/ is considered to be
present underlyingly, but then needs to be deleted in almost all forms of
these verbs.  This representation seemed too abstract to me, and when I
considered Czech phonotactic restrictions (see charts in Palkova (1994)) from
an autosegmental viewpoint, it occurred to me that the /j/ (where it does
survive) may simply be inserted to break up impermissible V clusters or to
prevent formation of overlong syllable nuclei.

The only sticking point in this was that /j/ often appears between non-high
Vs or Vs with which it shares no obvious features.  As I found out from the
between non-homorganic vowels is not as uncommon as one might assume.  So
far, the norm seems to be that Cs inserted at morpheme boundaries will be
glides (even between non-high Vs) unless there is a relic consonant that has
been retained, and sometimes analogically extended, in a given environment.
 In all cases I've found where the inserted C is a relic, that C is coronal.
 More data would be greatly welcome.

THE RESPONSES:

Albert Ortmann (ortmann at sapir.ling.uni-duesseldorf.de) mentioned several
examples:  English intrusive /r/, French t-epenthesis in interrogative forms,
Dutch insertion of /j/ and /v/ between non-high Vs morpheme internally (e.g.,
theater [te:'(j)a:t at r]; zovals [zo:'(v)als] "like, as if"), and Swiss German
insertion of /n/ between certain hosts and clitics (e.g. groesser wie-n-i
"taller than-EP-I").

 Subj:  vowel clusters