6.277 Dick Armey's slip and correction

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Feb 22 23:01:55 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-277. Wed 22 Feb 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:

Subject: 6.277 Dick Armey's slip and correction

Date:         Mon, 20 Feb 95 15:44:24 EST
From: Larry Horn (LHORN at yalevm.ycc.yale.edu)
Subject:      Re: 6.255 Dick Armey's slip and correction

2)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 12:06:11 -0900
From: Burns Cooper (FFGBC at aurora.alaska.edu)
Subject: Dick Armey and errors

3)
Date:         Mon, 20 Feb 95 16:22:37 EST
From: Loren Allen Billings (BILLINGS at PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU)
Subject:      Re: 6.249 Dick Armey's slip and correction

4)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 05:36:39 +0100 (MET)
From: hartmut at ruc.dk (Hartmut Haberland)

Date:         Mon, 20 Feb 95 15:44:24 EST
From: Larry Horn (LHORN at yalevm.ycc.yale.edu)

I was going to respond to Dave Wharton's posting on why it's only those of us
with a political agenda who might doubt the sincerity of Rep. Armey's explana-
tion of the innocence of his verbal slip, but since Mark Hale and possibly
another of the recent respondents asked about the verbal context of the remark,
I thought it was worth reposting Armey's explanation (from my earlier message,
originally written on Jan. 30, the same day the Times printed his letter in
which these comments were contained):
      In saying that I did not want to "listen to Barney Frank haranguing me",
    I blended the two words (Frank and harangue, which I pronounce with a
    hard "g") in a way that made it sound as if I was using a slur.  I
    immediately corrected myself and moved on with my comments.
Wharton's rebuke of us skeptics for only now, two weeks into the discussion,
beginning to examine the actual data seems to suppose that the only relevant
aspect of the data for linguistic (or psychological) analysis is the
duration of the pause between Rep. Armey's utterance of the "slip" and his
correction of it.  But surely the phonological plausibility of the
"blend" counts as part of the data, and I have it on at least Vicki Fromkin's
authority that 'Frank' + 'harangue' (however hard the [g]) --) [faeg] is not
the sort of speech error that pervades the data.  I agree with the other
recent group of posters (in 6.255) that there's many a lip 'twixt a slur and a
slip.  My favorite response was that of Rep. Frank, who observed that nobody in
the fifty years of her married life had anyone ever introduced his mother as
"Elsie Fag".

--Larry