6.751, Qs: Retroflex, "if not" sentences, Portuguese, Translation

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Jun 1 14:16:25 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-751. Thu 01 Jun 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 138

Subject: 6.751, Qs: Retroflex, "if not" sentences, Portuguese, Translation

                           REMINDER

Date: Sat, 27 May 1995 17:32 -0500 (EST)
From: beaumont_brush at sil.org
Subject: Q: representing retroflex

2)
Date: Mon, 29 May 1995 13:19:05 +0100
From: James Thomas (James.Thomas at cl.cam.ac.uk)
Subject: Q: "if not" sentences

3)
Date: Fri, 26 May 95 11:30 BRT
From: Rafael Humberto Scapin (RAFAEL at ifqsc.sc.usp.br)
Subject: Portuguese fonology

4)
Date: Mon, 29 May 1995 14:25:13 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Mario Cal Varela (iamario at usc.es)
Subject: translation courses

Date: Sat, 27 May 1995 17:32 -0500 (EST)
From: beaumont_brush at sil.org

        I am looking for information on the status of retroflex segments as
     being different from other coronal segments, specifically the question
     of whether retroflexes might best be represented as dorsalizations
     rather than as [-anterior] in order to explain such things as why
     retroflexes do not spread where other coronals do.

        I have heard informally that some suggest this, and am looking for
     more concrete information.  Comments, references, examples,and further
     questions welcome.  Personal responses most appreciated, summary
     posted with sufficient response.

     Thanks,

     Beaumont Brush
     University of Texas at Arlington