6.775, Syldavian Tutorial

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Jun 5 19:48:58 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-775. Mon 05 Jun 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 46

Subject: 6.775, Syldavian Tutorial

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Tue, 23 May 95 19:35:48 +0200
From: Guy Deutscher (guy at sun.ling.lu.se)
Subject: Re: Syldavian tutorial

Date: Tue, 23 May 95 19:35:48 +0200
From: Guy Deutscher (guy at sun.ling.lu.se)

Jacques Guy's Grammar of Syldavian is of course a very welcome
contribution to the understanding of that seldom investigated language.
However, one couldn't help being slightly disappointed that it
did not contain a translation of the longest text (and only one,
as far as I know) which has survived in this ancient language.
I refer of course to the page of the 14th cent. manuscript which is
reproduced in "le sceptre d'Ottokar" (p. 21), and which goes
approximately thus:

Pir Ottokar du~s pollsz ez ko"nikstz dan tronn eszt
pho ma~ Ozeilla~ cza"ida~ o"n estca~r akpu~ kzommetz
pakkeh o lapza~da ko"nikstz itd o alpu~ klo"ppz
staszrvitchz erom szu~bel o". Da~zsbick ta"llta
o"pp o ca~rro".

Can we have a chapter 2?

Guy Deutscher