6.876, Qs: Innateness, Translation, Romance lgs, Antipassive/reflexive

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Jun 26 06:02:44 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-876. Mon 26 Jun 1995. ISSN: 1068-4876. Lines: 173

Subject: 6.876, Qs: Innateness, Translation, Romance lgs, Antipassive/reflexive

                           REMINDER

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 95 08:40:41 +0100
From: "R.Hudson" (uclyrah at ucl.ac.uk)
Subject: innateness

2)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 95 11:36:02
From: mgoodri at MIT.EDU (Marilyn Goodrich)
Subject: Translation

3)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 17:48:59 +0200 (MET DST)
From: "Xulio C. Sousa Fernandez" (fgxsousa at usc.es)
Subject: Modal Verbs in Romance Languages

4)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 21:39:37 -0400
From: Jeffrey L Lidz (jlidz at brahms.udel.edu)
Subject: Antipassive and Reflexive

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 95 08:40:41 +0100
From: "R.Hudson" (uclyrah at ucl.ac.uk)

Can anyone help me to understand where innateness fits into Chomsky's current
theorizing, where the aim is to explain all of UG in terms of Bare Conceptual
Necessity as applied to the Bare Output Conditions - in other words, to show
that UG is as it is because it couldn't have been otherwise, given the meanings
that have to be expressed (LF) and the demands of phonology (PF) and the need
for the simplest possible system. If UG can be explained like that (as Chomsky
thinks it can), then there's no need for a second explanation in terms of
genetics, is there? Or am I missing something obvious?

Dick Hudson
Dept of Phonetics and Linguistics,
University College London,
Gower Street,