6.336 Qs: Lg of touch, Amazonian lgs, Lg recovery, Genitives in GB

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Mar 5 15:16:57 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-336. Sun 05 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 142

Subject: 6.336 Qs: Lg of touch, Amazonian lgs, Lg recovery, Genitives in GB

                           REMINDER

Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 16:53:28 -0600
From: ocls at sibylline.com (george elgin, suzette elgin)
Subject: Language of touch

2)
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 1995 16:06:06 -0700
From: anderson at cr-am.rnp.br (Eric C. Anderson)
Subject: Amazonian Indigenous Languages

3)
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 1995 08:57:04 -0600 (CST)
From: Fran Karttunen (LIAR457 at utxvms.cc.utexas.edu)
Subject: Query about language recovery programs

4)
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 15:04:04 +0200 (SAST)
From: SAVINI (SAVINI at mtb.und.ac.za)
Subject: Query: Genitives in GB framework

Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 16:53:28 -0600
From: ocls at sibylline.com (george elgin, suzette elgin)

I have under contract now a book on "the language of touch"; I'd like to be
certain that I give credit everywhere that credit is due, as I write it.
I'd be grateful for any nonmedical references you could suggest on (a)
perception of  touch, (b) communication by touch (other than sign
languages), and language of touch (verbal and nonverbal>.  (I'm not
excluding sign languages; I have ample resources for  this subject area.)
I think my bibliography is adequate up to the early 1980s, but I'm not
entirely confident after that date. Preliminary searches keep turning up
almost nothing, and I find that hard to believe. I don't want to find
myself reading  email  postings to the lists from people outraged because I
left them out of the book, failed to give their theories/methodologies/etc.
adequate space, focused only on someone or other alleged not to have had a
new idea for years, talked to them and then failed to quote them  .... that
sort of thing. It may happen, but I will make every effort to prevent it.
Can you help me? I'll post a summary of replies if  that seems useful.
"Language of touch" in this context means only terminology, as in "grasp an
idea" and "put your finger on the source of a problem" and the usual
tactile vocabulary. Thank you.

Suzette Haden Elgin