6.436 Comparative Linguistics

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Mar 26 16:52:27 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-436. Sun 26 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 378

Subject: 6.436 Comparative Linguistics

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 11:35:36 +1100 (EST)
From: j.guy at trl.OZ.AU (Jacques Guy)
Subject: Why comparative linguistics

2)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 09:54:22 -0500
From: ECOLING at aol.com
Subject: Denying poss of compar technique

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 11:35:36 +1100 (EST)
From: j.guy at trl.OZ.AU (Jacques Guy)

It is no secret to readers of this list that I take a dim view of
comparative linguistics. Some may wonder then why I bother writing about
the subject. Contrary to what one would be justified to think, it is not
because I am intent on debunking the many fallacies that litter the
topic. I could hardly care less about X, Y or Z claiming to have
produced the ultimate classification of Q, W, E, R, T and Y and
consequently having located the cradle of Indo-European speakers,
Nostratophones, even Geophones (Proto-World speakers). I am interested
because the properties of language families are mirrorred in other
aspects of language, far more important, and of immediate practical
interest. I have cobbled together this short explanation out of a
much longer article which I am still polishing. It is mostly about
the reconstruction algorithms in GLOTREE and GLOTLPP (part of the
lexicostatistical package in pc/linguistics/glotto02.zip at
garbo.uwasa.fi). I had sent a preview of it to Cameron Laird, and you
may perhaps (if it's still there) ftp it if you are interested: It's at
ftp.neosoft.com in pub/users/claird/sci.anthropology/text/jg_salish.zip
It's in Postcript format, 33 pages long. Here is what *really* makes
me tick:

Consider this excerpt from a table of cognate percentages
between eight languages:

     C    D    E    F    G    H
A   20   20   21   22   22   23
B   40   42   43   40   44   45

Language B scores about twice as many cognates with the rest as A does.
This pattern occurs if and only if languages C to G are *external* to A
and B, in other words, if A and B are *siblings*, or other terms again,
if A and B have an *immediate* common ancestor. When they do not, the
pattern is breached, thus:

     C    D    E    F    G    H
A   20   20   21   22   22   39
B   40   42   43   40   44   45

There, A and B would be siblings if H were not attested, or were removed
from the table (the proof is given in the original article, I feel too
lazy to translate the equations and diagrams from Word-for-Windows to
straight ascii. It's not a trivial 5-minute task).

This observation gives us a key to reconstructing the genetic trees of
language families whatever the variations in lexical retention rates,
and to estimating those retention rates as well. Thus in the fabricated
example above, B, shares twice as many cognates as A with external
languages very simply because it has been twice as retentive since
the split of their common ancestor. Real data will exhibit similar
patterns, sometimes with surprising differences in retention rates:
thus Sakao 1.5 times as retentive as Akei (both spoken in Espiritu
Santo, Vanuatu, see Guy 1982:288,300)

Note that it does not matter whether the figures in a cognation matrix
represent percentages or the actual numbers of cognates counted. A
language n times as retentive as another will have n times as many
cognates with external languages, whether that amount is expressed as a
percentage or as an absolute number of cognate.

Consider now a matrix of the frequencies with which the words from an
English corpus follow each other, and take, for instance, prepositions.
Prepositions will most often be followed by articles, adjectives or
substantives, very rarely by other parts of speech. If, say, "in" occurs
n times as often as "between", we may expect to observe "in the"
occurring approximately n times as often as "between the". Thus the
frequency vectors for words occurring in similar environments can be
expected to exhibit linear relations similar to those of the cognate
scores of sibling languages with external languages. This is the cause
of the results reported by Finch (1993). Finch submits matrices of
frequencies of co-occurrence of words or letters to various clustering
techniques and produces dendrograms showing for instance  "dog, cat,
mouse" in one cluster, "girl, boy, woman, man" in another (Finch
1993:112), or, counting individual letters rather than words, showing
all vowels in one cluster, all consonants in another (ibid. p.118). He
leaves open to speculation the reasons for the success of these
procedures. The reason is: like tend to occur in like environments.
Vowels, for instance, tend to occur in the immediate environment of
consonants, and consonants of vowels; words of a given grammatical
category tend to occur in the immediate environment of words of those
grammatical categories which the syntax of the language allows. As the
environment is made wider and wider, syntactic contingencies become
weaker and weaker, gradually disappearing until only semantics
contingencies can remain.

Cognation matrices and frequency matrices of word or letter
co-occurrences share another, surprising, property. Consider this
matrix:

    D   E    F    G    H    I
A  19  19   20    2    3    4
B   0   1    1   20   19   19
C  20  20   21   22   22   23

Imagine that it contains cognate scores: A has nineteen words in common
with D and E, twenty with F, etc., and is clearly a member of the DEF
family, whereas B belongs to GHI. Note now how C is the sum of A and B.
Thus C might represent a sample of English and A and B its Romance and
Germanic components.

Imagine now that this matrix contains the frequencies of occurrence of
words A, B, and C in environments D...I. Row C might represent the
frequency distribution of the word "like", being the sum of the
frequencies of "like" (preposition) in row A and "like" (verb) in row B.
The quantitative properties of polysemic tokens are thus the same as
those of hybrid languages and polysemy is mathematically equivalent to
hybridation or undetected borrowing. Therefore, a procedure capable of
identifying languages affected by hybridation or undetected borrowing
ought to identify polysemic words when applied to frequency matrices of
word co-occurrences. Once again, complex, seemingly almost intractable
problems of automatic text analysis seem to be reducible to much simpler
models.

The two works quoted are:

Finch, S.P. (1993), "Finding Structure in Language". Ph.D. thesis,
available in electronic form in /pub/statling/Papers/phdThesis.ps.Z at
ftp.cogsci.ed.ac, University of Edinburgh, Scotland.

Guy, J.B.M. (1982), "Bases for New Methods in Glottochronology" in "Papers
from the Third International Conference on Austronesian Linguistics", Vol.1
Halim, Carrington, Wurm (eds). Pacific Linguistics, Canberra.