6.435 Sum: Whatever happened to HAD /'D?

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Mar 26 16:45:24 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-435. Sun 26 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 141

Subject: 6.435 Sum: Whatever happened to HAD /'D?

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 15:16:32 GMT+1000
From: DZIEGELE at arts.cc.monash.edu.au
Subject: Summary: Whatever happened to 'd?

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 15:16:32 GMT+1000
From: DZIEGELE at arts.cc.monash.edu.au

A few weeks ago I posted a query to the List regarding the disappearance
of HAD or its contracted form 'D, in such expressions as SHE BETTER
STOP, which appeared in a recent academic publication. I questioned
people's attitudes towards the standardisation of this new form
(BETTER), the subsequent status of the bare infinitive (STOP), the
possibility of its association with the extraposed construction IT IS
BETTER THAT SHE STOP, (implying a subjunctive analysis of STOP) and the
likelihood of substituting another adjective (e.g. GOOD) in place of
better has a result of this. I also questioned the possibility of
inverting BETTER with the subject in interrogatives, given the analysis
of it as an auxiliary form.

I received 26 replies, and I would like to thank the following people
who sent their comments, and anyone who is yet to do so:

Tamara Al-Kasey; Eleanor Olds Batchelder; Jonathon Berg; Claudia
Brugman; Marsha Bundman; Ellen Contini-Morava; Max Copperman; John Cowan
(Logical Language Group) David Fertig; Frederik Fouvry; Dorine Houston;
Marge Jackman; Roger Lass; Deborah D. Kela Ruuskanen; James Kirchner;
Timothy Miller; Catherine Rudin; Raphael Salkie; Alena Sanusi; Hal
Schiffman; Jane Simpson; Dan Slobin; Frits Stuurman; Larry Trask; Ivan
Uemlianen; Max Wheeler.

Of 18 replies to the question of standardisation, 9 replied that it was
not to be considered standard, 9 thought that it was either normal,
informal or OK, and 8 did not consider this question.

Nobody liked the analysis of STOP as a subjunctive, 2 people considering
that the extraposed derivation sounded educated or stilted.One reply
considered that STOP was an imperative form. Four people replied that
BETTER was an auxiliary, 7 thought it was a modal or semi-modal, and 2
thought that the construction was simply idiomatic. John Cowan made
mention of the use of BETTER in Yiddish-influenced American English as a
sentence prefix: 'Better she shouldn't go'.

With regard to its inversion in interrogatives, 9 people considered SAI
was not OK, one person thought it OK to invert in tags, and only one
person thought main clause SAI sounded OK.

I also want to thank Frederik Fouvry for his reference:
"Information based syntax and semantics" (HPSG vol.1, Pollard & Sag,
1987) in which BETTER is analysed as an auxiliary that doesn't allow
inversion; and Frits Stuurman for his references and comments:
In G.Gazdar, G. Pullum, & I. Sag (1982) "Auxiliaries and related