6.451 Qs: Greek alphabet, Sino-Tibetan, Chamorro, Heaviness Hierarchy

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Mar 27 06:50:58 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-451. Mon 27 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 161

Subject: 6.451 Qs: Greek alphabet, Sino-Tibetan, Chamorro, Heaviness Hierarchy

                           REMINDER

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 16:15:58 -0500
From: Stavros Macrakis (macrakis at osf.org)
Subject: Greek alphabet for other languages

2)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 95 00:00:12 +0100
From: lxalvarz at udc.es (Celso Alvarez Caccamo)
Subject: Query about Ph.D. programs/Sino-Tibetan and Indo-European

3)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 10:57:51 +1100
From: Bert.Peeters at modlang.utas.edu.au (Bert Peeters)
Subject: Chamorro

4)
Date:          Fri, 24 Mar 1995 08:59:08 SAST-2
From: "Bellusci, D, David, Mr" (DAVID at beattie.uct.ac.za)
Subject:       Heaviness Hierarchy

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 16:15:58 -0500
From: Stavros Macrakis (macrakis at osf.org)

What languages use or have used the Greek alphabet?

Also, what diacritics besides the usual ones have been used with the
Greek alphabet? (*)

I have a partial list of both of these, which I'm trying to make as
comprehensive as possible.  Although the Latin and Cyrillic alphabets
are derived from the Greek alphabet, I'm not interested in them or
their descendents.

Of course, Greek itself (ancient, modern, and everything in between)
has used the Greek alphabet since the 7c BC or so.  Some ancient
languages of Asia Minor (Lycian, Phrygian, Pamphylian) used a
Greek-derived alphabet.  In Italy, Etruscan and Messapian used a
Greek-derived alphabet (and the Latin alphabet derives from the
Etruscan).  The original Gothic scipt (not the same as the medieval
German hand called Gothic or Fraktur), and Glagolitic are derived from
Greek.  Coptic uses the Greek alphabet augmented with six special
letters.  Turkish has been written using Greek letters
(Karamanlidika).  I have some leads on old writing systems for
Romanian and Albanian.  I have a grammar of Koutsovlach (a dialect of
Romanian spoken in Greece) which uses a Greek alphabet.

As for diacritics used with the Greek alphabet, I have found rather
few.  Stamatakou's dictionary (1952) uses a tilde below a iota to
represent a semi-vowel pronunciation.  The Koutsovlach grammar I
mentioned uses some idiosyncratic diacritics.  Any others?  Are there
any diacritics used to represent dialect features?

Any others?  Specific bibliographic references would be helpful,
including for the languages I mentioned above.

Please send me e-mail (macrakis at osf.org), and I will summarize for the
list.  Thanks.

        -s

(*) The usual diacritics: 2 breathings (dasia, psili), 3 accents (oxia,
    baria, perispomeni), iota subscript (ipogegrammeni), diaeresis, and
    in philological works, 2 length-marks (macron, breve).