6.704, Linguistics in Science Fiction

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat May 20 15:01:23 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-704. Sat 20 May 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 105

Subject: 6.704, Linguistics in Science  Fiction

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 20:47:51 -0500 (CDT)
From: Martin Jacobsen (mmj at ns.ccsn.edu)
Subject: Linguistics in Sci-Fi

2)
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 01:08:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: Anna Livia Julian Brawn (livia at uclink.berkeley.edu)
Subject: Re: 6.657, Linguistics in Science Fiction

3)
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 16:05 +0100 (MET)
From: WERTH at ALF.LET.UVA.NL

Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 20:47:51 -0500 (CDT)
From: Martin Jacobsen (mmj at ns.ccsn.edu)

All,
        Another Sci-Fi story involving linguistics is found in the fifth
installment of editor Judy-Lynn del Ray's _Stellar_  series.  The story
is entitled "Grimm's Law."   The author, L. Neil Smith, tells a story
about a time-pilot who takes a philologist back to the point in time when
the stops in the classical languages shifted to the stops now used in the
Germanic tongues.  The philologist, then, accidentally acquires the
classical stops into his modern English, as evidenced by the following
sentence from the professor to his time-pilot: "Prenie! You kotha ghelf us!
Somedhinh wenth wronh!  We ghoth haughth in dhe shibhth!"  ("Bernie!  You
gotta help us!  Something went wrong!  We got caught in the shift").

Martin Jacobsen
mmj at ns.ccsn.edu