6.1570, Jobs: Computer Scientist, Phonology at Rutgers

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Nov 7 16:16:01 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1570. Tue Nov 7 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  145

Subject: 6.1570, Jobs: Computer Scientist, Phonology at Rutgers

Date:  Tue, 07 Nov 1995 09:32:27 GMT
From:  john.beaven at sharp.co.uk (John Beaven)
Subject:  Job: Computer Scientist/Software Engineer - Language Technology - Sha
rp, Oxford

2)
Date:  Tue, 07 Nov 1995 06:47:51 EST
From:  prince at ruccs.rutgers.edu (Alan Prince)
Subject:  Rutgers Phonology Job/1995 Application Deadline

Date:  Tue, 07 Nov 1995 09:32:27 GMT
From:  john.beaven at sharp.co.uk (John Beaven)
rp, Oxford

(Final call, same job as was advertised two weeks ago) - Please reply
directly to the person mentioned below, NOT TO THE POSTER!

 Computer Scientist/Software Engineer - Language Technology

Sharp Laboratories of Europe Ltd has a vacancy for a Computer
Scientist to join a team working in the area of Language
Technology (specifically, large scale text translation and
information retrieval). The position would ideally suit a
graduate with experience of working in a software development
environment.

We are currently moving into the development phase of some
spin-off applications in which our language software is tailored
to particular hardware platforms.

Candidates should possess a good first degree in Computer Science
(or equivalent) and around 2 years' applied experience. We
require excellent programming skills in C/C++ and some knowledge
of higher level languages such as Lisp or Prolog.  Specific
knowledge of 1 or more of the following would also be an
advantage:

	statistical methods
	information retrieval
	large-scale corpus analysis
	automata theory
	parsing (ideally of natural languages)
	database management
	computational linguistics
	data compression

The successful applicant will initially be responsible for
developing linguistic software for delivery to product
development divisions and may also be required to assist in
developing tools for linguistic data acquisition and management.

We are looking for a person with good communication skills,
enthusiasm, creativity, self-motivation, flexibility and the
ability to work in a team.

Sharp Laboratories of Europe, founded in 1990, is the European
research centre of Sharp Corporation, Japan. We are situated in a
new R&D laboratory in the green surroundings of the Oxford
Science Park, two miles south of Oxford city centre and the
University. We offer a competitive salary, relocation package and
company pension.

If you are interested in applying for this position, please send
us a detailed CV and a one-page cover letter, quoting reference
SLE-LT-95-10-A, as plain text by email to:

	ianj at sharp.co.uk

Although email applications are preferred, you can send a paper
copy to:

Ian Johnson,
Manager, Language Technology,
Sharp Laboratories of Europe Ltd.