6.1624, Sum: Language and Brain References

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Nov 17 14:12:53 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1624. Fri Nov 17 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  84

Subject: 6.1624, Sum: Language and Brain References

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)

Date:  Thu, 16 Nov 1995 22:30:47 PST
From:  chrisbro at halcyon.com (Chris Brockett)
Subject:  Language and Brain References

Date:  Thu, 16 Nov 1995 22:30:47 PST
From:  chrisbro at halcyon.com (Chris Brockett)

I would like to thank Teresa Wilmott (UCSD Lab for Neuropsychology)
and Michael J. Posner (University of Oregon) for their help with the
language and brain references I sought on linguist list a few days
ago. The bibliographical data below was provided by Professor Posner
be of interest some Linguist subscribers.

For the study of lateralization in bilinguals:

Weber-Fox, C. M., & Neville, H. J. (in press).  Maturational
constraints on functional specializations for language processing: ERP
and behavioral evidence in bilingual speakers.  Journal of Cognitive
Neuroscience.

Teresa Wilmott (The work was done at her lab.) provides the
information that "this ERP study is both syntactic and semantic and is
done with Chinese immigrants." She adds: "They just got video taped
for CNN for this very study." (It may be something to watch out for --
Chris)

Professor Posner provides references to two further forthcoming
studies by Helen Neville and others that may be of interest:

Neville, H. J., Corina, D., Bavelier, D., Clark, V. P., Jezzard, P.,
Prinster, A., Padmanabhan, S., Braun, A., Rauschecker, J., & Turner,
R.  (1995).  Effects of early experience on cerebral organization for
language: An fMRI study of sentence processing in English and ASL by
hearing and deaf subjects.  Proceedings of the First International
Conference on Functional Mapping on the Human Brain, 1, p. 143. [page
# may be incorrect]

Neville, H. J., Coffey, S. A., Lawson, D. S., Fischer, A., Emmorey,
K., & Bellugi, U. (in press).  Neural systems mediating American Sign
Language: Effects of sensory experience and age of acquisition.  Brain
and Language.

The maturational study of reading and brain wave forms that I referred
to in my query is apparently to be found in:

Posner, M.I., Abdullaev, Y.G., McCandliss, B.D., Sereno, S.C.  (1995).
Anatomy, circuitry and plasticity of high level human skills. Visual
and attentional processes in reading and dyslexia London: Routledge.

Cheers.

Chris Brockett