6.1680, Qs: Globalization of English, Russian, Lexical Innovations

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Nov 30 16:44:50 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1680. Thu Nov 30 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  136

Subject: 6.1680, Qs: Globalization of English, Russian, Lexical Innovations

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)
                           REMINDER

Date:  Tue, 28 Nov 1995 17:32:49 GMT
From:  D.J.Graddol at open.ac.uk (David Graddol)
Subject:  The Globalization of English

2)
Date:  Tue, 28 Nov 1995 21:22:11 PST
From:  lindafor at violet.berkeley.edu (Linda Formichelli)
Subject:  Native Russian Speakers Needed

3)
Date:  Wed, 29 Nov 1995 08:01:49 +0700
From:  RHLH702 at UVM.HAIFA.AC.IL (MIchal Ephratt)
Subject:       Authorship of lexical innovations - query

Date:  Tue, 28 Nov 1995 17:32:49 GMT
From:  D.J.Graddol at open.ac.uk (David Graddol)

I have four queries arising from research I'm doing for a TV programme
on the 'globalization' of English.

(1) Does anyone know of the existence of a high level computer programming
    language which is NOT based distantly on English. By 'High Level'
    I guess I mean C or above, and I count C as being based loosely
    on English. Is it the case that programmers whose first language
    is not English find they need to learn English to some level of
    proficiency? Or are there hackers out there in places like Japan
    Russia who program without any knowledge of English or who work
    in special local languages which no-one in the west has heard of?

(2) I am examining the increasing tendency of transnational companies
    to disperse their operation across the world, exploiting differences
    in time zones and labour costs. For example, several airlines have
    established 'back offices' (which handle things like frequent flier
    airmiles accounts) in India. Some U.S. companies automatically
    redirect their public telephone enquiries to desks in Ireland
    (apparently the U.S. public are less phazed when they get greeted
    by an Irish accent than by a British one). British Airways reroutes
    enquiries from Europe to their New York office when the British office
    closes for the day. Australian companies seem to be picking up quite a
    bit of teleworking from Singapore and East asia.

    Is  English language proficiency needed in order to join this international
    club? Does anyone know of similar transnational operations working
    between francophone countries, for example, or Arabic speaking countries?

(3) Does anyone have an email address for any scholar doing research on
    language and education policies in Papua New Guinea?

(4) Does anyone have any informed view on the liklihood of Chinese, or
    indeed any other language, challenging the role of English as an
    international lingua franca in the foreseeable future?

I would be grateful for any help on these questions or direction to
any relevant work already published by colleagues. The TV programme is
for a distance taught course on the English Language which explores
various aspects of the International role played by English. We
(i.e. the team at the UK Open University) are making a series of eight
TV programmes with the BBC which covers a range of issues such as the
'English Only' movement in the U.S. and English medium education in
India. The materials should become generally available in due course.

David