6.1366, Sum: Russian acquisition references

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Oct 6 15:33:12 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1366. Fri Oct 6 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  83

Subject: 6.1366, Sum: Russian acquisition references

Date:  Thu, 05 Oct 1995 11:05:29 CST
From:  BLINDSEY at SIUCVMB.SIU.EDU
Subject:  Summary: Russian acquisition references

Date:  Thu, 05 Oct 1995 11:05:29 CST
From:  BLINDSEY at SIUCVMB.SIU.EDU

Quite a while ago, I posted a query on the list asking for references on
the first or second language acquisition of Russian, especially of Case.
A big "thank you" goes to the following people for their responses:

Maria Babyonyshev <babyonys at mit.edu>
Jennifer Ganger <jganger at psyche.mit.edu>
Ken Wexler <wexler at psyche.mit.edu>
Younes Mourchid <younesm at siu.edu>
Steve Seegmiller <SEEGMILLER at apollo.montclair.edu>
Josh Rotenberg <jrot at sfsu.edu>
Jeff Holdeman <jholdema at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>

Your help has been invaluable.

Here are the references I received.
L1 acquisition:
1. A collaborative effort by Jennifer Ganger on the L1 acquisition of the
genitive of negation.  A short version of this is published in the proceedings
of SCIL VI.

2. Maria Babyonyshev has a study of the L1 acquisition of the Russian Case
system published in Papers on Case and Agreement put out by MITWPL, either in
1993 or 1994.

3. Avrutin and Wexler presented a paper on the acquisition of the Russian
subjunctive at the 1994 BU Child Language Conference.

4. Avrutin and Wexler have a paper on Binding Theory (Principle B) in Language
Acquisition, probably 1991.

5. Avrutin, Babyonyshev, Fein, Ganger, Pesetsky, and Wexler are working on
the draft of a paper dealing with the L1 acquisition of the genitive of
negation, which has been presented at various conferences.

6. Dan Slobin (1966).  "The Acquisition of Russian as a Native Language."  In
Smith and Miller, pp. 129-148.

L2 acquisition:
1. No specific references, but there is some work being done at USC on the
L2 acquisition of Russian.

2. George Rubenstein "On Case Errors Made in Oral Speech by American Learners
of Russian."  Slavic and East European Journal, Fall 1995.

That's what I have.  Any ommissions and errors are more than likely my fault.
I would still love to hear from anyone who has information on this subject.
Thanks again to those who responded.

Brian Lindsey
Southern Illinois University at Carbondale
blindsey at siucvmb.siu.edu