6.1438, Qs: Text wanted, Data acquisition, AGR, Dictionary

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Oct 17 14:05:52 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1438. Tue Oct 17 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  247

Subject: 6.1438, Qs: Text wanted, Data acquisition, AGR, Dictionary

                           REMINDER

Date:  Mon, 16 Oct 1995 15:55:57 EDT
From:  messing at tiger.asel.udel.edu (Lynn Messing)
Subject:  Q: text with representative frequency distribution of letters

2)
Date:  Mon, 16 Oct 1995 16:42:51 EDT
From:  SDFNCR at ritvax.isc.rit.edu ("Dr. Word")
Subject:  Data acquisition hardware and software

3)
Date:  Mon, 16 Oct 1995 20:43:28 CDT
From:  howard at mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu (Harry Howard)
Subject:  AGR+ morphology

4)
Date:  Tue, 17 Oct 1995 02:46:22 BST
From:  lxalvarz at unica.udc.es (Celso Alvarez-Caccamo)
Subject:  Query: A Universal Electronic Dictionary of Language Names

Date:  Mon, 16 Oct 1995 15:55:57 EDT
From:  messing at tiger.asel.udel.edu (Lynn Messing)

We are doing research which involves training neural networks
to recognize fingerspelling. For training purposes, we would like
to have a relatively small text which approximates the
frequency distribution of the letters as used in a typical
English text. Does anyone know whether such a piece has been
composed? BTW, we realize that there will be different frequency
distributions depending on the genre; we would be happy for a
text which represents the frequency distributions from any
genre or from a composite of genres.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Lynn Messing

Lynn Messing  (messing at asel.udel.edu)
Applied Science and Engineering Laboratories
The Alfred I. duPont Institute and The University of Delaware

    Alfred I. duPont Institute        voice: (302) 651-6846
    P.O. Box 269                      tdd:   (302) 651-6834
    1600 Rockland Rd.                 fax:   (302) 651-6895
    Wilmington, DE 19899
http://www.asel.udel.edu/~messing/home.html