6.1446, Disc: Prescriptivism

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Oct 17 23:34:18 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1446. Tue Oct 17 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  160

Subject: 6.1446, Disc: Prescriptivism

Date:  Tue, 17 Oct 1995 10:19:58 CDT
From:  CONNOLLY at MSUVX1.MEMPHIS.EDU
Subject:  Prescriptivism

2)
Date:  Tue, 17 Oct 1995 15:29:16 EDT
From:  fertig at acsu.Buffalo.edu (David Fertig)
Subject:  Re: 6.1439, Disc: Prescriptivism

3)
Date:  Tue, 17 Oct 1995 18:27:07 BST
From:  waruno at paradox.rz-berlin.mpg.de (Waruno Mahdi)
Subject:  Disc: Prescriptivism

Date:  Tue, 17 Oct 1995 10:19:58 CDT
From:  CONNOLLY at MSUVX1.MEMPHIS.EDU

I might as well put my two cents into the discussion of prescriptivism.

First, I agree with most of what the others have already said on the subject.
In particular, I must reemphasize two of their points (rephrased in my own
inimitable fashion):

1. Prescriptions based on accurate desriptions are no vice.

2. We language teachers (for that is what I mainly do: teach German) are
prescriptivist to the core: "You will do it the way the Germans do; it's their
language, and their way is the right way."

The second point is a tad problematic, given the diversity of mutually
nonintelligible German dialects and regional variations even in the standard
language.  But on principle it's correct, and we depend on it.

I would add several other points, however, in defense of prescriptivism in
*first-language* teaching.

First, we must recognize that it is the job of a "grammar" teacher to teach
students to use a prestige form of their first language.  It is essential to
teach students to say "You and I can do it", not "Me and you can do it."  Why?
Because tolerating the other form in what is supposed to be *prestige* usage is
as bad as tolerating "2+2=5" in arithmetic, or permitting a bassist to use a
"blue note" (quarter tone) in playing Mozart. Obviously, this has nothing to do
with whether "me and you" is an acceptable usage in other kinds of English, and
certainly not with whether the prescribed usage is "logical" -- but only with
whether it is accepted by users of the prestige dialect.  That same bassist
can use the blue note when he plays jazz -- the audience will applaud, and the
piano player will envious because he can't do it.

Second, we must recognize that traditional formulations of prestige usage have
been recorded in school grammars for centuries, so that even the most absurd of
them (absurd because not based on actual prestige usage) have been internalized
by many who strive, with varying degrees of success, to speak or write the
prestige dialect.  The result is that these users are *offended* when they hear
the nonprestige forms where, for whatever reason, prestige forms would be
expected.  The schoolmarms and their successors try to teach students to speak
and write so as to be accepted and thus *heard* by their intended audience.
It is important for them to teach even that most stupid of rules, that it is
wrong to "split" an infinitive, since some of their audience will be so
offended by the "error" that they reject the message along with the error.

Third, teaching the prestige dialect prescriptively should not mean that
prestige forms are to be used to the exclusion of all others.  While I do not
use object pronouns in compound English subjects even in my most relaxed
moments, I do "split" infinitives and say "It's me."  I would do neither in a
formal presentation -- just as I would not speak Bavarian dialect if my formal
presentation were in German.  It is important that the schoolmarms insist on
prestige English in the classroom -- without insisting that it is somehow wrong
or "ignorant" to use nonprestige forms on other occasions.

Leo A. Connolly                         Foreign Languages & Literatures
connolly at msuvx1.memphis.edu             University of Memphis