6.1458, Disc: Self-censorship

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Oct 19 17:32:19 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1458. Thu Oct 19 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  88

Subject: 6.1458, Disc: Self-censorship

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu

Date:  Tue, 17 Oct 1995 20:12:00 PDT
From:  IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (benji wald                          )
Subject:  Re: 6.1441, Disc: Self-censorship

2)
Date:  Wed, 18 Oct 1995 14:26:15 +0900
From:  plutes at mes.co.jp (P.Lutes)

Date:  Tue, 17 Oct 1995 20:12:00 PDT
From:  IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (benji wald                          )

The list is a welcome research tool IN ADDITION to all the other research
tools available to us, such as books etc in the libraries, telephones and
colleagues who can be button-holed and queried in the halls as well as in
public at conferences etc.  If the opportunity for cheating exists on the
list, e.g., getting someone else to do your homework, it exists elsewhere
as well, even if not in as convenient or cheap a form.  The list
should not be distracted by the possibility of such abuses.
Instead, perhaps, there should be a rethinking of the types of
assignments that are used to train and judge students.

Admittedly, primary school students are still taught at first to
write with a pencil even though word processors are increasingly
available, even at their age.  However, I think we are dealing
with a different level of phenomenon here.  The analogy just has
to do with changes in the array of resources for learning
whatever it is that we're supposed to learn.  What if you didn't
have a word processor and you have to leave a message.  You
better know how to use a pencil.  What if you didn't have access
to the list, you better know how to ...?  Is that the list's
problem?   Benji