6.1459, Disc: Prescriptivism

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Oct 19 18:35:34 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1459. Thu Oct 19 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  246

Subject: 6.1459, Disc: Prescriptivism

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu

Date:  Thu, 19 Oct 1995 09:28:15 MDT
From:  r.hudson at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk (Richard Hudson)
Subject:  prescriptivism

2)
Date:  Thu, 19 Oct 1995 11:25:00 PDT
From:  falk at HUM.HUJI.AC.IL (Falk Yehuda)
Subject:  Prescriptivism and language-teaching

3)
Date:  Thu, 19 Oct 1995 17:15:04 +0930
From:  powers at ist.flinders.edu.au ("David M. W. Powers")
Subject:  Re: 6.1453, Disc: Prescriptivism

4)
Date:  Thu, 19 Oct 1995 09:47:49 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)

Date:  Thu, 19 Oct 1995 09:28:15 MDT
From:  r.hudson at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk (Richard Hudson)

Before we all agree that linguistics has to be prescriptive, let's be sure
we don't miss two important points about the traditional rejection of
prescriptivism:

1. Our job is to describe the facts `out there', and not to try to *change*
them; e.g. if people use reflexives in funny places, or split infinitives,
we note it as part of our data alongside all the other data. Writing
descriptive grammars and dictionaries for non-native learners isn't
prescriptive; we're just telling them what natives do.

2. We still believe (don't we?) that all varieties are linguistically equal.
The difficulty of persuading students to the contrary isn't evidence against
this view, but evidence for the need to persuade them.

It's true that socially prescribed rules or conventions are at the heart of
language, so we linguists have to deal with prescription all the time; but
that's surely not what anyone has ever meant by `prescriptive' linguistics,
is it? I.e. I disagree with Robert Knippen when he says:

     Rules have to come from somewhere, right?  That's what
     "presceiptivists" are for.

Rules come from the community of native speakers, and linguists are in
principle outsiders observing those rules. An interesting case arises, of
course, when linguists themselves constitute the community of native
speakers, namely in the terminology of linguistics. At that point we become
the experts, and we have the right to decide what the rules are - e.g. what
exactly we mean by "prescriptive"!
Prot Richard Hudson                           Tel: +44 171 387 7050 ext 3152
                                             E-mail: r.hudson at ling.ucl.ac.uk
Dept. of Phonetics and Linguistics                     Tel: +44 171 380 7172
                                                       Fax: +44 171 383 4108
UCL
Gowbr Street
London WC1E 6BT