6.1219, Qs: Default Genders, AmE dictionary, Sanskrit sign, Armenian

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Sep 7 20:40:28 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1219. Thu Sep 7 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  117

Subject: 6.1219, Qs: Default Genders, AmE dictionary, Sanskrit sign, Armenian

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)
                           REMINDER

Date:  Mon, 04 Sep 1995 23:05:26 EDT
From:  V2188G at VM.TEMPLE.EDU ("Dorine S. Houston")
Subject:       Q: Default Genders Across languages

2)
Date:  Thu, 07 Sep 1995 09:57:04 CDT
From:  frisch at babel.ling.nwu.edu (Stefan Frisch)
Subject:  American English dictionary

3)
Date:  Mon, 04 Sep 1995 14:32:59 -0800
From:  XEJOHNSON at CCVAX.FULLERTON.EDU
Subject:  help

4)
Date:  Thu, 07 Sep 1995 11:40:43 EDT
From:  thabick at ets.org ("tim habick")
Subject:  Armenian Speaker Wanted

Date:  Mon, 04 Sep 1995 23:05:26 EDT
From:  V2188G at VM.TEMPLE.EDU ("Dorine S. Houston")

Today I was talking about the masculine "he" default used in English, the masc
default also used in Spanish, with a group of spanish teachrs, the questons was
raised as to whether other languages around the world resort to the masculine
as default gender in cases of ambiguity. It was pointed out that many language
families either have a far more complex noun class system, or else do not use
the masc/fem system. How do these language set a default gender for ambiguous
subjects?
Thanks for your input.

    DORINE HOUSTON      TEMPLE UNIVERSITY    PHILADELPHIA, PA
    V2188G at TEMPLE VM            OR           V2188G at VM.TEMPLE.EDU