6.1230, Calls: Lg Legislation, Phonology, CSDL II

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Sep 10 14:58:39 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1230. Sun Sep 10 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  224

Subject: 6.1230, Calls: Lg Legislation, Phonology, CSDL II

Date:  Thu, 07 Sep 1995 10:16:09 BST
From:  debaron at uiuc.edu
Subject:  language legislation conference

2)
Date:  Fri, 08 Sep 1995 19:34:49 EDT
From:  bertinet at sns.it (Bertinetto)
Subject:  CORTONA PHONOLOGY MEETING III

3)
Date:  Sat, 09 Sep 1995 12:33:58 EDT
From:  jpkoenig at acsu.buffalo.edu (Jean-Pierre A Koenig)

Date:  Thu, 07 Sep 1995 10:16:09 BST
From:  debaron at uiuc.edu

NOTE REVISED DATES      NOTE REVISED DATES     NOTE REVISED DATES

CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT/CALL FOR PAPERS

"Language Legislation and Linguistic Rights": An International Conference

Organizers:

Dennis E. Baron, English
Eyamba Bokamba, Division of English as an International Language
C. C. Cheng, Language Learning Laboratory
Braj B. Kachru, Linguistics
Douglas A. Kibbee, French

Dates:
March 21-23, 1996.

The University of Illinois will host a colloquium on Language Legislation
and Linguistic Rights on March 21-23, 1996. A select group of speakers from
around the world will address linguistic issues such as language and
culture, language and power, bilingualism;  and the linguistic aspects of
social issues such as community vs. individual rights, cultural survival,
and free trade.  It is expected that the conference proceedings will be
published.
       Language legislation and the concept of linguistic human rights have
moved to the forefront of national and international news.  In the United
States, language legislation has taken the form of the national English
Language Amendment, and a variety of state and local ordinances. In the US,
legal solutions to perceived threats have quickly found their way to the
courts, with appeals leading all the way to the United States Supreme
Court.   Many other countries around the globe have erected legal barriers
against the penetration of English or other languages perceived as threats.
 These laws often conflict with  guarantees of individual human rights,
such as the UN Charter or the D=E9claration des Droits de l'Homme.  In the
realm of international law, language protection has colored debate on such
issues as the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) and has
influenced the structure of international institutions like the European
Community and the United Nations.

or further information, contact:

                        Douglas A. Kibbee
                        Language Legislation Conference
                        Department of French
                        University of Illinois
                        2090 Foreign Languages Building/ MC-158
                        707 South Mathews Avenue
                        Urbana IL 61801
                        USA

AX:  (1) (217) 244-2223
email: dkibbee at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

Those wishing to participate should send a 1-2 page proposal to the
organizers at the address listed above.

DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACTS: NOVEMBER 1, 1995