6.1249, Disc: Dialect, Re: 6-1227; Grammar-glamour, Re: 6-1197

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Sep 14 14:45:50 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1249. Thu Sep 14 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  119

Subject: 6.1249, Disc: Dialect, Re: 6-1227; Grammar-glamour, Re: 6-1223

Date:  Wed, 13 Sep 1995 02:27:00 PDT
From:  IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (benji wald                          )
Subject:  dialect/language

2)
Date:  Mon, 11 Sep 1995 14:35:14 PDT
From:  jlarson at hsc.usc.edu (Jerry Larson)
Subject:  Re: 6.1223, Disc: Grammar, glamour, Re: vol-6-1197

Date:  Wed, 13 Sep 1995 02:27:00 PDT
From:  IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (benji wald                          )

The Filipino discussion was interesting, but even more interesting to
me was the discussion of the English word "dialect".  It is, of course,
true that English speakers generally "read" negative connotations into
the word "dialect".  At least, that's how it seems to us literati, since
we flatter ourselves that the "language" we use professionally and
whose admirers surround us is being contrasted with "dialect".

My point is -- and I invite corrections if I'm wrong -- that at least
the downgrading implicit in the term "dialect" as opposed to "language"
started with an opposition between "written" and "unwritten".  Unwritten
languages are generally called dialects -- and are historically disparaged
for THAT REASON.  They're "illiterate".  I don't know if that started
in the age of imperialism or before, but I have always understood
statements that "Africa has over a thousand dialects" to mean "unwritten
languages".So, as soon as a dialect becomes
written -- seriously written, not caricatured (I can't remember how to
spell that word! what's wrong with me?) -- it's a language.  It doesn't
have to have an army and navy, pace (<-- Latin) my beloved teacher Uriel
Weinreich -- it just tends to work out that way -- the European "dialects"
that reached languagehood became so mostly before they had navies backing
them up at least.

Now, when a language becomes written it changes, e.g., Tagalog becomes
Filipino.  We notice the resemblance, but we pounce on the differences.
They're "literate", "cultivated", "grammatical" and "civilised" (dialects
with suits and ties, fashions which change slower than the vernacular
culture.)

In most languages of the world, AND HERE'S A TOPIC FOR DISCUSSION, there
is no lexical opposition of the type "language:dialect".  There's talk,
tongue, mouth, etc.  Everybody speaks something that's similar to
something else, so they can get the idea of what dialect means to a
linguist, and I guess everybody's aware of something else that's so
different that they can get the idea of (another) language.  The English
lexical contrast comes from a literate culture, and has spread with
literate cultures and their political purposes.

I suggest that rather than getting indignant about how the "person
in the street" uses OUR words, we consider semantic and lexical change
and how our technical use of terms have evolved from earlier uses,
rather than make the mistake of assuming that nonlinguists speak a
debased form of English when they use the words in ways which are
displeasing to us, because they violate our cherished beliefs about
languages and dialects.  Maybe by recognising conventional uses of
terms, how they got to be that way, and working around them, we'll be
able to get our message/s across. We don't when we insist that our uses
are "right" and that the common uses (including by people more influential
than us) are "wrong".   (End of today's sermon)   Benji
====
If the message doesn't get through try:
linguist at TAM2000.TAMU.EDU