6.1262, Disc: Dialect

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Sep 17 02:16:33 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1262. Sat Sep 16 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  146

Subject: 6.1262, Disc: Dialect

Date:  Thu, 14 Sep 1995 14:33:10 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Re:  6.1249, Disc: Dialect, Re: 6-1227; Grammar-glamour, Re: 6-1197

2)
Date:  Fri, 15 Sep 1995 09:37:38 CDT
From:  mnewman at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Michael Newman)
Subject:  language and dialect

3)
Date:  Fri, 15 Sep 1995 13:06:00 PDT
From:  IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (benji wald                          )
Subject:  Re: Dialect (fwd)

Date:  Thu, 14 Sep 1995 14:33:10 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)

It is clear that in normal English usage _dialect_ means a less
important linguistic variety than does _language_, but what is not
clear to me is (a) whether _dialect_ is really in any way pejorative,
(b) whether possessing a writing system is what defines _language_
or (c) whether people who use _dialect_ and _language_ this way
think of _dialects_ as varieties of some _language_ or not.  I think
not, which would mean that when nonlinguists read works that mention
somehing about dialects, they are probably systematically misinterpreting
the information.

It is also an interesting question whether we as linguists should
stop using dialect in its technical sense in order to do away with
the confusion, much as many linguists have stopped using _informant_.