6.1290, Qs: Intonation in dialects, 2nd Lang Acq

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Sep 21 13:25:25 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1290. Thu Sep 21 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  96

Subject: 6.1290, Qs: Intonation in dialects, 2nd Lang Acq

                           REMINDER

Date:  Wed, 20 Sep 1995 22:18:15 EDT
From:  kaufmans at gusun.acc.georgetown.edu (Stefan Kaufmann)
Subject:  Intonation in Dialects

2)
Date:  Wed, 20 Sep 1995 23:11:19 CDT
From:  bongartz at students.wisc.edu ((Christiane Bongartz))
Subject:  Query second language acquisition and morphology/syntax interface

Date:  Wed, 20 Sep 1995 22:18:15 EDT
From:  kaufmans at gusun.acc.georgetown.edu (Stefan Kaufmann)

Speakers of different Japanese dialects tend to characterize the speach
of other dialects as "soft/effeminate/whiny" (an Ashiya woman about men in
Tokyo) or as "rude/curt" (a Tokyo man about Osaka men; both p.c.)
I want to try and find out whether such judgements have any regular measurable
acoustic correlate (I do NOT mean the accent which is, of course, different.)
For this, I could use help in three respects:

1. Anybody who agrees or doesn't agree with the above statements or has
similar subjective impressions about other Japanese dialects, or knows
places in magazines, novels or Manga where such a feeling is articulated is
asked to tell me about it.

2. Where can I find published acoustic data from various Japanese
dialects? I am especially interested in average values and dynamism of
fundamental frequency and amplitude, vowel duration and intonational
contours in general; since I'm not quite sure yet what exactly I'm looking
for, anything that might be relevant is important.

3. Do you know of good literature on the acoustic correlates of subjective,
impressionistic judgements of intonation? Not necessarily as applied to
Jaapanese; other languages are fine as well. My references are somewhat
scarce at the moment, and there is probably more out there than I know,
especially in Japanese.

I would appreciate any help. I will give a summary, and if I come up with
something, I can summarize the results for those who are interested.

		Thank you very much.

Stefan Kaufmann
Grad. Student, Linguistics
Georgetown University