7.501, Sum: Linguistics for speech therapists

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Apr 5 00:12:48 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-501. Thu Apr 4 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  123

Subject: 7.501, Sum: Linguistics for speech therapists

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Tue, 02 Apr 1996 11:38:49 GMT
From:  helge.dyvik at foli.uib.no (Helge Dyvik)
Subject:  Sum: Linguistics for speech therapists

Date:  Tue, 02 Apr 1996 11:38:49 GMT
From:  helge.dyvik at foli.uib.no (Helge Dyvik)

Last week I posted the following query:

>A colleague has asked me to post the following request:

>Can anyone suggest suitable reading material, approximately 500 pages,
>about "clinical linguistics", i.e., linguistics as a basis for speech
>therapists/correctionists? No previous knowledge of linguistics should
>be presupposed. The language should be English (or a Scandinavian
>language, but we more or less know that such material does not exist
>in those languages).

My colleague Kolbjoern Slethei and I are grateful to the following for very
useful references:

Ian Crookston
Lynne Hewitt
Pirkko Kukkonen
Matti Lehtihalmes
Mick Perkins
Asha Rajan
Gregory Roberts

This is the union of their suggestions:

Caplan D. Neurolinguistics and linguistic aphasiology. Cambridge: Cambridge
University Press, 1987

Crystal, D. Profiling linguistic disability. London: Arnold, 1982

Crystal, D. Clinical linguistics. London: Arnold, 1987.

David Crystal (1989) Clinical Linguistics.(2nd edition) London: Whurr

Crystal, David. Introduction to language pathology. 3rd ed. London: Whurr. 1993
.

Crystal, Fletcher & Garman _The Grammatical Analysis of Language Disability_.

Dressler WU, Stark JA. Linguistic analyses of aphasic language. New York:
Springer-Verlag, 1988.

Kim Grundy, Linguistics in Clinical Practice (Whurr Publishers 1989)

Grunwell K [or P?] _Clinical Phonology_

Grunwell K ed (1995 ed) _Linguistics in Clinical Practice_ Whurr [Or should
it be Grundy? Cf. above. HD]

Hegde, M.N. (1991)_Introduction to Communicative Disorders_ Pro-Ed,
        Austin, Tx.

Hegde, M. N. (Mahabalagiri N.). Clinical methods and practicum in
       speech-language pathology. 1992.

Lesser R. Linguistic investigations of aphasia. London: Arnold, 1978

Lesser R, Milroy L. Linguistics and aphasia. London: Longman, 1993

Lund, N. & Duchan, J. (1993).  Assessing children's language in naturalistic
contexts.  Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall.

Matthews, Cindy B. Marketing speech-language pathology and audiology
services: a how-to guide. San Diego, Calif.: Singular Pub. Group. 1993.

Perkins M & S Howard (1995 ed) _Case Studies in Clinical Linguistics_
London:   Whurr pubns

Ryalls JH, ed. Phonetic approaches to speech production in aphasia and
related  disorders. Boston: College-Hill, 1987.

Shipley, Kenneth G. Assessment in speech-language pathology: a resource
manual. San Diego, Calif.: Singular Pub. Group. 1992.

Smith BR, Leinonen E. Clinical pragmatics. London: Chapman & Hall, 1992.

Journal:
Clinical Linguistics & Phonetics

There is also a volume of Blackwell Handbooks in Linguistics, but it
may require some previous knowledge in linguistics.

Helge Dyvik
Department of Linguistics and Comparative Literature
Section for Linguistic Studies
University of Bergen    	   Phone: 	  +47 55 212261
Sydnesplass 7   	           Fax:   	  +47 55 589354
N-5007 Bergen, Norway              E-mail: helge.dyvik at foli.uib.no