7.522, Disc: Grammatical gender

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Apr 10 13:52:43 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-522. Wed Apr 10 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  318

Subject: 7.522, Disc: Grammatical gender

Date:  Thu, 21 Mar 1996 11:30:24 PST
From:  wittysan at ix.netcom.com (Sean M. Witty)
Subject:  Disc:  Grammatical Gender and Feminism

2)
Date:  Fri, 22 Mar 1996 20:01:54 EST
From:  LHORN at yalevm.ycc.yale.edu (Larry Horn)
Subject:       On midwives

3)
Date:  Sat, 23 Mar 1996 12:14:24 EST
From:  TEICHERT at wmich.edu
Subject:  Re: 7.419, Disc: Grammatical gender and feminism [via LSMTP - see
	  www.lsoft.com]

4)
Date:  Sat, 23 Mar 1996 20:02:00 +0100
From:  green at europa.pangeanet.it (Marina & Anthony Green)
Subject:  Re: Sex and reference in Italian

Date:  Thu, 21 Mar 1996 11:30:24 PST
From:  wittysan at ix.netcom.com (Sean M. Witty)

[Moderator's note:  we apologize for the delay in posting
these messages.]

As Linguists, we have two basic responsibilities:  objective
description of language related phenomena and accuracy in reporting.
If one of us should betray these objectives, by placing their own
personal agendas before these responsibilities, then that individual
serves to undermine the efforts of those who bear faith...

1.  Reference:  7.419 -- Alexis Manaster Ramer
"The problem with trying to make a language like German more genderless
by deciding that nouns like Ingenieur be like English engineer is that
there is no grammatical category to which they could belong."

Why would anyone want to do such a thing?  This is PREscription, not
DEscription...

"You have to have either a masculine or a feminine noun.  Even if you
tried to ordain that Ingenieur could be of either gender, i.e. to allow
die Ingenieur as well as der Ingenieur to be grammatical, that would
not help, obviously."

No, but [das Ingenieur] would accomplish the same thing.  Apparently,
Alexis either did not study German, or did not pay much attention.  For
if she had, then she might know about the Neuter Gender in German, and
would NEVER have made a statement like the intial one above.

"The only way to make German like English or Basque would be to abolish
the grammatical category of gender altogether (same for Spanish or
Russian), and quite clearly speakers find it harder to imagine doing
that than to make the changes described, namely, insisting that
Ingenieur can only mean 'male engineer' and using Ingenieurin for a
female one.  That's presumably because of that trite but true principle
that the grammatical system of a language is harder to mess with than
its lexicon."

Sure, if you're of the misconception that Sex is the most important
aspect of Grammatical Gender.  Ingenieur is a bad example, because
while the noun carries the Masculine Gender, the meaning is truly
indefinite.  I challenge anyone to claim otherwise, especially since my
German Dictionary lists Lehrer/Lehrerin but not Ingenieur/Ingenieurin.
Note the following (German):

arbeiten -- to work
die Arbeit (f.) -- the work
der Arbeiter (m.) -- the worker (Male and indefinite)
die Arbeiterin (f.) -- the worker (Female)

You see, [Arbeit] went from being Feminine to Masculine with the
application of the Morpheme '-er', which carries with it Masculine
Gender.  The Feminine version acquires Gender with the addition of the
'-in' Morpheme.  Thus, Gender is supplied by the Phonetic Ending of the
word, not by the Sex of the object (see additional info in #2 below).

A note about Russian.  Russian has three genders as well, but it also
uses a special provision that allows for Pronouns of Animate Nouns to
match for Sex.  Thus, a noun like [papa], which is declined as a
Feminine Noun, is referred to by using Masculine Pronouns.  This is
true of English, with the exception that nouns are not declined.

2.  Reference:  7.419 -- Michael Newman

"The problem is that in some languages, particularly almost all IE
ones, sex reference is (i) imperfectly mapped into the grammatical
gender (or vice versa) and (ii) the masculine gender is the unmarked
one."

When you divide Nouns into two categories, Animate and Inanimate, then
sub-divide these into Animate-Male, Animate-Female, Animate-Indefinite,
Inanimate-Masculine, Inanimate-Feminine, and Inanimate-Neuter, it
becomes less of a problem (and a heck of a lot more cumbersome).  In
essence, this is what is done in English and Russian, note the pronoun
spread:
                    English     Russian
Animate-Male:       he          on
Animate-Female:     she         ona
Animate-Indef.:     NA          ---
Animate-Plural:     they        oni
Inanimate-Masc:     it          on
Inanimate-Fem:      it          ona
Inanimate-Neut:     it          ono
Inanimate-Plural:   they        oni

In English, there is no Animate-Indefinite Pronoun that speakers feel
comfortable with.  In Russian, Animate-Indefinite is expressed
according to the Gender of the Noun.  Thus, a dog [sobaka] is Feminine
(ona).  If we know that the dog is a male, then it becomes [on],
otherwise, it remains [ona].  The equivalent in English would be to
call any Animate-Indefinite object [it].  There lies the problem...

The fact that the 'base' form of a word is the Masculine form, only
holds true in Feminine nouns that are derived from Masculine ones.
This is to be expected, and what difference does it really make?
Simply being a Masculine noun DOES NOT imply that the object is male.
In the place of Masculine/Feminine/Neuter people could just a well say
A/B/C, the derivation would still be the same.

"For example, forms such as "Scotsman" and so on sound more obsolete
than sexist."

This term is sexually indefinite, [man] meaning 'one who is', and
Masculine in Gender.  The same holds for [wyfman] of Old English.
[Wyf} is neuter, meaning [wife]; [man] is masculine, meaning [one who
is].  Thus, their compound [wyfman], the ancestor of [woman], is a
Masculine Noun, commonly referred to by the Masculine Pronoun [he], in
Old English Texts.  Hmm, we all know that a woman is female...

"Other forms such as poetess, hostess, waitress, and so on have also
disappeared or are disappearing, probably on sexist grounds."

Though it might appear so, I have another, more linguistically
plausible theory.  Since Specifiers do not agree for Gender, or Sex,
the following is ambiguous if one actor is Male, and the other Female:

I (nom) threw actor (acc) at actor (acc).

Which actor is the woman?  One of the forms must deviate for clarity.
In English, Russian, German, etc.. the base form generally resembles
the Masculine, or Gender Category A if you prefer, so the deviant form
must take an ending that will resemble a different gender, or category,
and distinguish it from the original form.  Thus,

I (nom) threw actor (acc) at actress (acc).

Again, Sex is the note the primary player here, just an instrument
being used for distinction.

3.  Reference:  7.419 -- Waruno Mahdi

"There is incidentally also no masculine correspondent to the German
feminine noun Hebamme "midwife" (just as there is no "midhusband" in
English), although male persons pursuing that profession do exist in
Germany."

Should there be?  Why is it not possible for [die Hebamme] to have
Neuter Gender and Indefinite Sex?  They do it for [der Ingenieur], so
we should expect it to go the other way as well.

"With regards to recommendations at neutralising gender distinctions in
language, I see two aspects to the problem:  (1) "political
correctness" in language should certainly not only be recommended, but
sometimes even enforced, when language is being misused to oppress or
injure people on the base of their sex (or by any other criteria);"

WHAT!!!  Sounds awfully PREscriptive.  Who will determine what
constitutes misuse, oppression, or injury?  Who is going to enforce it?
As a Linguist, I am outraged that you would suggest FORCING words into
people's mouths!!!  Who the heck are you????  Sure, people abuse
language through their usage.  This is the type of mentality that
creates the problem that Feminists claim exists.  Language does not
oppress.  People's usage does.

"We kill what we fear, and we fear what we don't understand."

Sean M. Witty
Philadelphia, PA
"(2)