7.557, Disc: Grammatical gender, re: 7.522 & 7.537

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Apr 14 21:19:47 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-557. Sun Apr 14 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  279

Subject: 7.557, Disc: Grammatical gender, re: 7.522 & 7.537

Date:  Fri, 12 Apr 1996 17:51:00 EDT
From:  joel at exc.com (Joel M. Hoffman)
Subject:  7.537, Disc: Grammatical gender

2)
Date:  Sat, 13 Apr 1996 21:37:01
From:  orip at netvision.net.il (Ori Pomerantz)
Subject:  Reply to 7.522, Disc: Grammatical gender

3)
Date:  Sat, 13 Apr 1996 20:56:45 PDT
From:  wittysan at ix.netcom.com (Sean M. Witty)
Subject:  Grammatical Gender (ref:  7.537)

Date:  Fri, 12 Apr 1996 17:51:00 EDT
From:  joel at exc.com (Joel M. Hoffman)

>>                     English     Russian
>> Animate-Male:       he          on
>> Animate-Female:     she         ona
>> Animate-Indef.:     NA          ---   <-<< !!
>> Animate-Plural:     they        oni
>> Inanimate-Masc:     it          on
>> Inanimate-Fem:      it          ona
>> Inanimate-Neut:     it          ono
>> Inanimate-Plural:   they        oni
>
>The line indicated with an arrow should be corrected to:
>
>		  English     Russian
>Animate-Neut.:     it          ?

I would suggest "they" for the Engligh Animate Indef, and "on" for the
Russian.    In format Engligh, "he" is used for "they."  E.g.:
"Someone left their bookbag lying around."  or "Someone called me.
When they call back I'll ...."  The use of "it" for animate subjects
such as babies and animals has to do with the reclassification of
these as non-animate, not the "default" pronoun system.

If the original intention was more along the lines of the French "on"
(i.e., "one" in formal English) again we use "they" in English, and in
Russian indeed the lack of a pronoun is used.  So, e.g., "oni
govoryat" = "they (specific) people say" while "govoryat" has the
additional meaning of "they (e.g., unspecified people on the radio)
say."

-Joel Hoffman
(joel at exc.com)