7.606, Qs: Finno-Ugrists,Citing On-Line, Superhighway

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Apr 24 03:47:00 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-606. Tue Apr 23 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  145

Subject: 7.606, Qs: Finno-Ugrists,Citing On-Line, Superhighway

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)

Date:  Wed, 17 Apr 1996 12:05:11 +0300
From:  jolaakso at cc.helsinki.fi (Johanna Laakso)
Subject:  Appeal from Finno-Ugrists in Helsinki

2)
Date:  22 Apr 1996 14:31:36 +0800
From:  david_weiss at gbinc.com ("David Weiss")
Subject:  query- citing on-line refer

3)
Date:  Tue, 23 Apr 1996 14:24:34 +0200
From:  waruno at paradox.rz-berlin.mpg.de (Waruno Mahdi)
Subject:  Query: "Internet"/"Superhighway"

Date:  Wed, 17 Apr 1996 12:05:11 +0300
From:  jolaakso at cc.helsinki.fi (Johanna Laakso)

=09=09Helsinki, 16.4.1996

Dear colleagues

As you may know Raija Bartens Professor Ordinarius of Finno-Ugrian=20
Linguistics at Helsinki University is due for retirement in the
near=20 future. The university and the Faculty of Humanities have
decided to=20 change some offices of professor into "a removable and
periodic post".=20 The Faculty of Humanities is now planning to change
the professor's=20 office of Finno-Ugrian Linguistics into "a
removable and periodic post".

The office is more than 100 years old and we, at our Department,
consider= =20 this position an internationally important one. Changed
into "a removable= =20 and periodic post" would mean there would be no
guarantee for the=20 continuation of the professorship at the
termination of the five-year=20 period. After five years the
professorship could simply be removed to=20 another field! The
Department of Finno-Ugrian Linguistics has argued=20 against this
plan, but until now despite our efforts it seems unlikely=20 that any
changes to this arrangement will be maid (see enclosure). This=20
proposal concerning the future of the professorship will be presented
by=20 the Faculty of Humanities and the final decision will be made by
the=20 Rector of the University.

Dear colleagues, we now ask you to support our efforts to maintain
the=20 office of Professor Ordinarius office of Finno-Ugrian
linguistics at=20 Helsinki University. We invite you to send your
opinion in writing (an=20 express letter is desirable) to the Faculty
of Humanities (Humanistinen=20 tiedekunta, PL 3 (Fabianinkatu 33),
FIN-00014 Helsingin yliopisto, Finland;= =20 the e-mail address of
secretary of Department Leena Barros is:=20
leena.barros at helsinki.fi). We would also be grateful if you could send
a=20 copy of it to our Department (Suomalais-ugrilainen laitos,
Castrenianum,=20 PL 3 (Fabianinkatu 33), FIN-00014 Helsingin
yliopisto; telefax=20 +358-(9)0-191 23329; the administrator of our
Department is Katariina=20 Gr=E4mer, e-mail:
gramer at cc.helsinki.fi). Thank you!

On behalf of the Department of Finno-Ugrian studies (University of
Helsinki= )
Seppo Suhonen=09=09=09Raija Bartens
Professor of Finnic languages=09Professor of Finno-Ugrian linguistics
Chairman of the Department of Finno-Ugrian Studies