7.1097, Disc: Multilinguality

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Aug 1 15:54:25 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1097. Thu Aug 1 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  253

Subject: 7.1097, Disc: Multilinguality

Date:  Wed, 31 Jul 1996 11:31:19 BST
From:  dick at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk (Dick Hudson)
Subject:  multilingualism

2)
Date:  Wed, 31 Jul 1996 08:52:28 EDT
From:  kvt at husc.HARVARD.EDU (Karl Teeter)
Subject:  Re: 7.1083, Disc: Multilinguality

3)
Date:  Wed, 31 Jul 1996 23:01:59 GMT
From:  hip at usa.pipeline.com (LVN)

4)
Date:  Wed, 31 Jul 1996 18:18:40 CDT
From:  rmccalli at sunmuw1.muw.edu (Rick Mc Callister)

5)
Date:  Wed, 31 Jul 1996 10:08:04 +0300
From:  druuskan at cc.helsinki.fi (Deborah D K Ruuskanen)

Date:  Wed, 31 Jul 1996 11:31:19 BST
From:  dick at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk (Dick Hudson)

I was pleased to see Robert Johnson's strong reaction to the reports
of individuals who speak numerous languages, like Cardinal
Mezzofante. The reason I raised the question of multilinguality in the
first place was precisely because these claims seem to challenge a lot
of our professional assumptions about how languages can/should be
learned. As RJ says, how could someone learn 50 languages to native
speaker standard? Is there enough time in a life to do it, or enough
brain-space to hold the result?

And yet the reports we've had on the list sound quite sober to
me. Moreover, I've heard (through colleagues) that some of our
colleagues, who are alive and talking now, can cope pretty well with
large numbers of languages - certainly more than ten. I wish we could
get more concrete evidence from some of them, but I think they all
tend to be unimpressed by their own virtuosity - to the extent that
none of them seems to have sat down and counted the number of
languages they can speak fluently. Suppose we could find someone alive
and well who can speak, say, twenty languages fluently.  That's
already well outside the capacity of the ordinary language-learners
that RJ knows, and once we've accepted twenty, why not fifty?

I don't agree with RJ that we can reject these stories out of hand as
pie-in-the-sky, but I do wish we had more solid, checkable, evidence
to quote.

Richard Hudson Department of Phonetics and Linguistics,
University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT work phone
+171 419 3152; work fax +171 383 4108 email dick at ling.ucl.ac.uk;
web-site http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/dick/home.htm