7.1710, Qs: Mexican prosody, Bib info, Mysterious symbol

The Linguist List linguist at unix.tamu.edu
Thu Dec 5 10:40:41 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1710. Thu Dec 5 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  159

Subject: 7.1710, Qs: Mexican prosody, Bib info, Mysterious symbol

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Texas A&M U. <aristar at unix.tamu.edu>

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at unix.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: dizdar at unix.tamu.edu (Ann Dizdar)

Date:  Wed, 27 Nov 1996 20:04:09 MST
From:  pfarr at uclink4.berkeley.edu (Peter Farruggio)
Subject:  help with Mexican prosody

2)
Date:  Thu, 28 Nov 1996 00:55:41 EST
From:  aya at omni.cc.purdue.edu (Aya Matsuda)
Subject:  Bib info

3)
Date:  Wed, 27 Nov 1996 14:30:08 CST
From:  afukada at purdue.edu (Atsushi Fukada)
Subject:  Q: mysterious symbol

Date:  Wed, 27 Nov 1996 20:04:09 MST
From:  pfarr at uclink4.berkeley.edu (Peter Farruggio)

Dear linguists,

I am a bilingual educator/researcher (not a trained linguist)
attempting to do some classroom discourse analysis as part of a larger
project

I need help in understanding the possible discourse functions of a
prosodic feature that is fairly widespread and peculiar to Mexican
Spanish

I will attempt to describe this in musical terms:

In the phrase

la comida no sirve

the syllables la and co are the last two beats of a triplet

mi da and no are a full triplet

sir is heavily stressed, is held for a half beat (the downbeat) and is
pitched several tones higher than the previous syllables

ve is unstressed, drops about a half tone in pitch, starts as the
downbeat and is held for several beats

another example

pues, aqui no hay nadie

pues and a are unstressed and sped up to form the last two beats of a
triplet

qui  and no  and hay   form a triplet  with a minor stress on qui

na is heavily stressed and is several tones higher then the previous
syllables

die is unstressed, a half tone below na and is held for several beats

It seems that this is a poetic sort of emphasis device.  It has a very
song-like quality.

what I'd like to know is if anyone has studied this to discover some
sort of generality that carries across situations...or is this a
rhetorical device that strictly depends on the situation for
interpretation?

Can anyone help?

Pete Farruggio