7.1746, Sum: Generativity

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Dec 10 11:39:56 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1746. Tue Dec 10 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 7.1746, Sum: Generativity

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Software development: John H. Remmers <remmers at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 6 Dec 1996 20:23:23 +0000 (GMT)
From:  "N. Chipere" <nc206 at hermes.cam.ac.uk>
Subject:  SUM: Generativity

Date:  Fri, 6 Dec 1996 20:23:23 +0000 (GMT)
From:  "N. Chipere" <nc206 at hermes.cam.ac.uk>

On November 4 I wrote

> I am looking for references to past or on-going research on evidence
> for syntactic generativity, or lack of it, among native speakers of
> any language, though I have a particular interest in English. I am
> also interested in correlations between education and linguistic
> capacity.

Thanks to:

John Grinstead
Catherine Ball
Georgia Green
Sherri Condon

for comments and suggestions, and

Ewa Dabrowska for references. Rather than annotate the bibliography,
which is long, I've summarised the main points of my literature review
(1 page).  Hopefully this summary can serve as a guide to the
bibliography for those interested in the topic.

Summary

Adult native users of a language are assumed to have the competence to
understand and produce sentences of infinite syntactic
complexity. This competence takes the form of an innate generative
system of phrase structure rules which is uniform for all mature
language users (see Chomsky, 1965).  However, it has been observed in
numerous experiments that there are certain types of sentence which
native users of a language either cannot comprehend or have extreme
difficulty in doing so. It has also been observed that native users of
a language differ in their ability to decode syntax. The classical
account for both observations is that syntax is computed by a finite
working memory: if the syntactic complexity of a sentence exceeds
working memory capacity, the sentence cannot be assigned a structural
description and therefore cannot be comprehended. The fact that native
users of a language cannot understand certain constructions can
therefore be explained in terms of limitations in working memory. By
the same token, individual differences in syntactic ability can be
explained in terms of individual differences in working memory
capacity. This competence versus performance view of language
comprehension depends on two main assumptions: a) that comprehending a
sentence involves generating a syntactic description of it in working
memory by using phrase structure rules and b) that working memory has
a small and fixed capacity. However, subsequent developments in
linguistic theory and psychology undermine these assumptions and the
theory which depends on them.

Linguistic theories appear to have largely abandoned phrase structure
rules (eg Word Grammar, HPSG and GB, other linguistic traditions, such
as the fithian school, have always made use of multiword
sequences). In much of current linguistic theory, the syntactic
structures previously generated by phrase structure rules are now
simply listed in the lexicon as part of the structure of individual
lexical items. Lexical structure includes both the argument structure
of a verb as well as its semantic interpretation in the form of
thematic structure. By implication, comprehending a sentence does not
require syntactic structures to be generated in working memory.
Instead, what is required is to access lexical structures from the
lexicon (Chomsky, 1986). In psycholinguistic terms, this translates to
describing comprehension as a process of retrieving lexical
information from long term memory.

In a separate development, it is now being argued in psychology that
the capacity of working memory is not fixed, but rather depends partly
on the efficiency with which information can be read from and written
to long term memory.  Efficient access to long term memory requires
that there be `retrieval structures' which allow information to be
stored and retrieved rapidly and accurately (see Kintsch and Ericsson,
1995). Individual differences in working memory capacity, such as the
ability to recall the positions of chess pieces on a chess board, are
related to the existence of such retrieval structures in long term
memory. Chess experts have more developed retrieval structures and
strategies than chess novices and therefore possess larger working
memory capacities for chess. If a parallel can be drawn between
`retrieval structures' in, for instance, chess and lexical structures
in language (putting text structures aside for the moment), then there
is a logical possibility that limitations in working memory for
language are, to a certain extent, limitations in an individual's
lexicon (i.e.  linguistic knowledge in long term memory). This much is
indicated by a number of experimental studies in which it is argued
that native speakers of a language differ in their ability to perceive
and use linguistic structure during comprehension. Differences in
linguistic knowledge (if linguistic knowledge = lexical structure and
lexical structure = retrieval structure) might therefore manifest as
differences in linguistic working memory capacity. In sum, there is
good evidence that linguistic knowledge is neither generative (in the
classical sense) nor uniformly possessed by its speakers.  Rather,
many of the studies cited below characterise language ability as an
acquired skill which displays many of the attributes common to other
skills.

The literature is organised into sections which correspond
roughly to the sequence of ideas in the summary.

Bibliography

1. The Competence vs. Performance Distinction

Chomsky,  N  (1965). Aspects of the Theory  of  Syntax.  MIT
Press.

2. Replacing Phrase Structure Rules with Lexical Structures/
Multi- Word Units

Andrews, A. (1988). Lexical Structure. In F. Newmeyer  (ed.)
Linguistics:  The  Cambridge Survey.  I  Linguistic  Theory:
Foundations. Cambridge.

Chomsky,  N.  (1986).  Knowledge of  Language:  Its  Nature,
Origin and Use. Praeger, New York.

Fillmore, C.J. (1979). On Fluency. In Fillmore, C.J.,
Kempler, D. and W. Wang (eds.) Individual Differences in
Language Ability and Language Behaviour. New York: Academic Press.

Pawley, A. and F. H. Syder (1983). Two puzzles for
linguistic theory: nativelike selection and nativelike
fluency. In Jack C. Richards and R.W. Schmidt (eds.)
Language and Communication. London and New York: Longman,
pp. 191-226

3. The Role of Long Term Memory in Working Memory

Ericsson, A. and W. Kintsch (1995). Long-Term Working
Memory. Psychological Review, 102, 211-245. (This is the
source of many of the references below on memory)

4. Examples of Exceptional Working Memory Capacity in
Skilled Activities

Charness, N. (1976). Memory for chess positions: Resistance
to interference. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human
Learning and Memory, 2, 641-653.

Charness, N. (1979). Components of skill in bridge. Canadian
Journal of Psychology, 33, 1-6.

Charness, N. (1981a). Aging and skilled problem solving.
Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 110, 21-38.

Charness, N. (1981b). Search in chess: Age and skill
differences. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human
Perception and Performance, 7, 467-476.

Charness, N. (1989). Expertise in chess and bridge. In D.
Klahr & K. Kotovsky (Eds.), Complex information processing:
The impact of Herbert A. Simon (pp. 183-208). Hillsdale, NJ:
Erlbaum.

Charness, N. (1991). Expertise in chess: The balance between
knowledge and search. In K. A. Ericsson & J. Smith (Eds.),
Toward a general theory of expertise: Prospects and limits
(pp. 39-63). New York: Cambridge University Press.

Chase, W. G., & Simon, H. A. (1973). The mind's eye in
chess. In W. G. Chase (Ed.), Visual information processing.
New York: Academic Press.

Chi, M. T. H. (1976). Short-term memory limitations in
children: Capacity or processing deficits? Memory &
Cognition, 4, 559-572.

Chiesi,  H.L. Spilich, G. and J.F. Voss (1979).  Application
of  Domain-Related Information in Relation to High  and  Low
Domain   Knowledge.  Journal of Verbal Learning  and  Verbal
Behaviour. 18, 257-273.

Cooke, N. J., Atlas, R. S., Lane, D. M., & Berger, R. C.
(1993). Role of high-level knowledge in memory for chess
positions. American Journal of Psychology, 106, 321-351.

Deakin, J. M., & Allard, F. (1991). Skilled memory in expert
figure skaters. Memory & Cognition, 19, 79-86.

Engle, R. W., & Bukstel, L. H. (1978). Memory processes
among bridge players of differing expertise. American
Journal of Psychology, 91, 673-689.

Ericsson, K. A., & Chase, W. G. (1982). Exceptional memory.
American Scientist, 70, 607-615.

Ericsson, K. A. (1985). Memory skill. Canadian Journal of
Psychology, 39, 188-231.

Ericsson, K. A. (1988a). Analysis of memory performance in
terms of memory skill. In R. J. Sternberg (Ed.), Advances in
the psychology of human intelligence, (Vol. 5) (pp. 137-
179).

Ericsson, K.A., Chase, W.G., and S. Faloon (1980).
Acquisition of a memory skill. Science, 208, 4448, 1181-1182

Frey, P. W., & Adesman, P. (1976). Recall memory for
visually presented chess positions. Memory and Cognition, 4,
541-547.

Kauffman,  W.H.  and C.J.Carlsen (1989). Memory  for  intact
musical  works:  The  importance  of  music  expertise   and
retention interval. Psychomusicology, 8, 1, 3-20.

Kliegl,  R., Smith, J., Heckhausen, J. and  and P.B.  Baltes
(1987). Mnemonic training of skilled didit memory. Cognition
and Instruction, 4, 4, 203-223.

Koltanowski,  G. (1985). In the dark.Coraopolis,  PA:  Chess
Enterprises.

Korkel, J. and W. Schneider. (1991). Domain-specific  versus
metacognitive   knowledge  effects  on   text   recall   and
comprehension. In Carretero, M., Pope, M.L.,  Simons,  R.J.,
and  J.I.  Pozzo  (eds.) Learning and Instruction:  European
research in an interactional context, 3, 311-323.

McKeithen, K. B., Reitman, J. S., Rueter, H. H., & Hirtle,
S. C. (1981). Knowledge organization and skill differences
in computer programmers. Cognitive Psychology, 13, 307-325.

Morrow,  D.,  Leirer, V.,  Alteiri, P.  and  C.  Fitzsimmons
(1994).   When   expertise  reduces   age   differences   in
performance. Psychology and Aging, 9, 1, 134-148.

Reitman, J. (1976). Skilled perception in go: Deducing
memory structures from inter-response times. Cognitive
Psychology, 8, 336-356.

Saarilouma, P. (1989). Chess players' recall of auditorily
presented chess positions. European Journal of Cognitive
Psychology, 1, 309-320.

Saarilouma, P. (1991a). Visuo-spatial interference and
apperception in chess. In R. H. Logie & M. Denis (Eds.),
Mental images in human cognition (pp. 83-94). Amsterdam:
Elsevier Science Publishers.

Saarilouma, P. (1991b). Aspects of skilled imagery in
blindfold chess. Acta Psychologica, 77, 65-89.

Schneider, W., Gruber, H., Gold, A. and  and K. Opwis
(1993). Chess expertise and memory for chess positions in
children  and adults. Journal of Experimental Child
Psychology, 56, 3, 328-249.

Sloboda, J. (1976). Visual perception of musical notation:
Registering pitch symbols in memory. Quarterly Journal of
Experimental Psychology, 28, 1-16.

Staszewski, J. J. (1988a). The psychological reality of
retrieval structures: An investigation of expert knowledge
(Doctoral dissertation, Cornell University, 1987).
Dissertation Abstracts International, 48, 2126B.

Staszewski, J. J. (1988b). Skilled memory and expert mental
calculation. In M. T. H. Chi, R. Glaser, & M. J. Farr
(Eds.), The nature of expertise (pp. 71-128). Hillsdale, NJ:
Erlbaum.

5. The Contribution of Expertise/Familiarity  to Working
Memory for Language

Ericsson, K. A. (1988b). Concurrent verbal reports on text
comprehension: A review. Text, 8, 295-325.

Gathercole,   S.E.   and  A.M.  Adams.  (1994).   Children's
phonological   knowledge:  Contributions   of    long   term
knowledge  and  rehearsal. Journal of Memory  and  Language,
33, 5, 672-688.

Gathercole, S. E. (1995). Is non-word repetition a  test  of
phonological memory or long-term knowledge? It  all  depends
on the non-words. Memory and Cognition, 23, 1, 83-94.

Hulme,  C.  and  S. Maugham (1991). Memory for  Familar  and
Unfamiliar   words:    Evidence  for  a   Long-Term   Memory
Contribution  to short Term Memory. Journal  of  Memory  and
Language, 30, 685-701.

Hulme, C., Roodenrys, S.,Brown, G. and R. Mercer (1995). The
role  of long-term memory mechanisms in memory span. British
journal of Psychology, 86, 4, 527-536.

Jurden,  F.  and  H.W.  Reese  (1992).  Educational  context
differences in prose recall in adulthood. Journal of Genetic
Psychology, 153, 3, 275-291.

Korkel, J. and W. Schneider. (1991). Domain-specific  versus
metacognitive   knowledge  effects  on   text   recall   and
comprehension. In Carretero, M., Pope, M.L.,  Simons,  R.J.,
and  J.I.  Pozzo  (eds.) Learning and Instruction:  European
research in an interactional context, 3, 311-323.

Lewellen,  M.J.,  Goldinger, S.D.,  Pisoni,  D.B.  and  B.G.
Greene    (1993).   Lexical   familiarity   and   processing
efficiency:   Individual  differences  in  naming,   lexical
decision    and   semantic   categorisation.   Journal    of
Experimental Psychology General, 122, 3, 316-330

Masson, M. E. J., & Miller, J. A. (1983). Working memory and
individual differences in comprehension and memory of  text.
Journal of Educational Psychology, 75, 314-318

Recht,  D.  R., Leslie, L. (1988). Effect of prior knowledge
on  good  and  poor  readers' memory  of  text.  Journal  of
Educational Psychology, 80, 16-20

Schneider, W. (Wolfgang), Krkel, J., & Wienert, F. E.
(1989). Domain-specific knowledge and memory performance: A
comparison of high- and low-aptitude children. Journal of
Educational Psychology, 81, 306-312.

Spillich, G. J., Vesonder, G. T., Chiesi, H. L., & Voss, J.
F. (1979). Text processing of domain related information for
individuals with high and low domain knowledge. Journal of
Verbal Learning and Verbal Behavior, 18, 275-290.

Tardieu,  H., Erhlich, M. and V. Gyselink (1992). Levels  of
representation    and   domain   specific    knowledge    in
comprehension  of scientific texts. Language  and  Cognitive
Processes, 7, 3-4, 335-351.

Yekovich, F. R., Walker, C. H., Ogle, L. T., & Thompson, M.
A. (1990). The influence of domain knowledge on inferencing
in low-aptitude individuals. In A. C. Graesser & G. H. Bower
(Eds.), Inferences and text comprehension. The Psychology of
Learning and Motivation, 25, 175-196.

Yu, B.,  Jing, Q., & H.A. Simon (1985). STM span for Chinese
words and phrases. Acta Psychologica Sinica, 17, 4, 361-368.

6. Individual Differences in Syntactic Skill

Berger,  N.S.  and C.A. Perfetti (1977). Reading  skill  and
memory  for spoken and written discourse. Journal of Reading
Behaviour, 9,1, 7-16

Chomsky, C (1969) The Acquisition of Syntax in Children from
5 to 10. MIT Press.

Cox, J. (1976). A study of the Syntactic Competence of Adult
Beginning Readers. Paper presentend at the Annual Meeting of
the  International Reading Association, based on  University
of North Carolina Ph.D thesis.

Cromer  (1970). The difference model: A new explanation  for
some  reading difficulties. Journal of Education Psychology,
61, 471-483

Cupples,  L.  and  V.M.  Holmes (1987).  Reading  skill  and
interpretation  of temporary structural ambiguity.  Language
and Cognitive Processes, 2, 179-203.

Cupples,  L.  and  V.M.  Holmes  (1992).  Evidence   for   a
Difference in Syntactic Knowledge Between Skilled  and  Less
Skilled Adult Readers. Journal of Psycholinguistic Research,
21, 4, 249-275

Dabrowska,  E.  (submitted).  The  LAD  Goes  to  School:  A
Challenge for Nativism.

Denner, B. (1970). Representational and Syntactic Competence
of Problem Readers. Child Development, 41, 881-887.

Ellis,  N.  (1996). Sequencing in SLA: Phonological  Memory,
Chunking and Points of Order. SSLA, 18, 91-126.

Farnham-Diggory,   S.  (1967)  Symbol   and   synthesis   in
experimental reading. Child Development, 38, 223-231

Fletcher  (1981). Linguistic factors in reading acquisition:
Evidence for developmental changes. In: Prozzolo, F.J.,  amd
M.C.   Wittrock  (eds.)  Neuropsychological  and   Cognitive
Processes in Reading. Academic Press, New York.

Geer,   S.E.,   Gleitman,  H.  and  Gleitman,   L.   (1972).
Paraphrasing  and  remembering compound  words.  Journal  of
Verbal Learning and Verbal Behaviour, 11, 348-355.

Gernsbacher,   M.A.   (1990).  Language   Comprehension   as
Structure Building. Hillsdale NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.

Gleitman,   L.R.  and  Gleitman,  H.  (1970).   Phrase   and
Paraphrase. New York: W.W. Norton.

Gleitman,  L.R.  and Gleitman, H. (1979). Language  Use  and
Language  Judgement. In Fillmore, C.J., Kempler, D.  and  W.
Wang  (eds.) Individual Differences in Language Ability  and
Language Behaviour. New York: Academic Press, 103-126

Karanth, P., Kudva, A. and V. Aparna (1995). Literacy and
Linguistic Awareness. In de Gelder, B. and J. Morais (eds.)
Speech and Reading. UK: Lawrence Erlbaum. 303-316.

Jackson,  M.D.  (1980) Further evidence for  a  relationship
between memory access and reading ability. Journal of verbal
Learning and Verbal Behaviour, 19, 683-694.

Jurden,  F.  and  H.W.  Reese  (1992).  Educational  context
differences in prose recall in adulthood. Journal of Genetic
Psychology, 153, 3, 275-291.

Lewellen,  M.J.,  Goldinger, S.D.,  Pisoni,  D.B.  and  B.G.
Greene    (1993).   Lexical   familiarity   and   processing
efficiency:   Individual  differences  in  naming,   lexical
decision    and   semantic   categorisation.   Journal    of
Experimental Psychology General, 122, 3, 316-330

Levin, H. and E.L. Caplan (1970). Grammatical structure  and
reading. In H. Levin and J.P. Williams (eds.) Basic  Studies
in Reading. Basic Books, New York, pp. 119-133.

Mason,  M. (1980). Reading ability and the encoding of  item
and    location   information.   Journal   of   Experimental
Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, 6, 89-98.

Masson, M. E. J., & Miller, J. A. (1983). Working memory and
individual differences in comprehension and memory of  text.
Journal of Educational Psychology, 75, 314-318

Mills, J.A. and G.D. Hemsley (197?). The Effect of Level  of
Education On Judgements of Grammatical Acceptability.

Morais,  J.  and  R.  Kolinsky (1995). The  consequences  of
phonemic  awareness. In de Gelder, B. and J.  Morais  (eds.)
Speech and Reading. UK: Lawrence Erlbaum. 317-337

Muncer,  S.  J.  and   T.  G. Bever (1984).  Sensitivity  to
propositional    units   in   good   reading.   Journal   of
Psycholinguistic Research , 13, 275-279.

Pearlmutter, N.J. and M.C. MacDonald (1995). Individual
Differences and Probabilistic Constraints in Syntactic
Ambiguity Resolution. Journal of Memory and Language, 34,
521-542.

Ross, J.R. (1979). Where's English? In Fillmore, C.J.,
Kempler, D. and W. Wang (eds.) Individual Differences in
Language Ability and Language Behaviour. New York: Academic
Press, 127-163.

Sanders,  L.J. (1971) The Comprehension of Certain Syntactic
Structures   By  Adults.  Journal  of  Speech  and   Hearing
Research, 14, 739-745

Scholes,   R.J.   and  B.J.  Willis  (1987).  Language   and
literacy. Journal of Literary Semantics, 16, 3-11

Scholes, R.J.  and B.J. Willis (1987). The illiterate native
speaker  of  English: Oral Language and  intentionality.  In
Klesins,  J.  and  M.  Radeneich (eds.) Links  to  Literacy.
Miami: Florida Reading Association, 199-211.

Scholes,  R.J.  (1989).  Language,  literacy  and  LAD:   An
exposition of intentionality hypothesis. In Olson, D.R.  and
P.M.  McCormick (eds.) Periodically (the Newsletter  of  the
McLuhan   Program  in  Culture  and  Technology    and   the
Consortium on Literacy), 12:4-5. Toronto

Scoles,  R.J. and B.J. Willis (1991). Linguistics, literacy,
and the intensionality of Marshall McLuhan's Western Man. In
Olson,  D.  and  N.  Torrance (eds)  Literacy  and  Orality.
Cambridge University Press, pp. 215-235.

Scholes,   R.  (1993).  Literacy  and  Language   Awareness.
Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Inc.

Schwartz,  S. and T.C. Wiedel (1978). Individual differences
in cognition: Relationship between verbal ability and memory
for order. Intelligence, 2, 4, 353-396.

van Metre, P.D. (1978). The Syntax of Bilingual Children:  A
Comparative Study. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting  of
the Rocky Mountain Educational Research Association.

7. Constructions which Native Speakers of English Generally
Have Difficulty With

Blaubergs,  M.  and  M.  Braine  (1974).  Short-Term  Memory
Limitations On Decoding Self-Embedded Sentences. Journal  of
Experimental Psychology 102, (4), 745-748.

Blumenthal, A. (1966). Observations with self-embedded
sentences. Psychonomic Science 6 (10).

Cheung, H. and S. Kemper. (1992). Competing Complexity
Metrics and Adults' Production of Complex Sentences. Applied
Psycholinguistics, 13, 1, 53-76.

Dabrowska, E. (submitted). The LAD Goes to School: A
Challenge for Nativism.

Powell,  A.  and  R.G.  Peters  (1973).  Semantic  Clues  in
Comprehension of Novel Sentences. Psychological Reports, 32,
1307-1310.

Stolz,   W.  (1967).  A  Study  of  the  Ability  to  Decode
Grammatically  Novel Sentences. Journal of  Verbal  Learning
and Verbal Behaviour 6, 867-873.