7.1812, Disc: Analogy

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Dec 21 14:32:45 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1812. Sat Dec 21 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 7.1812, Disc: Analogy

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 20 Dec 1996 14:26:36 +0100 (MET)
From:  "G.J. VANDEN WYNGAERD" <WYNGAERD at rullet.LeidenUniv.nl>
Subject:  Re: 7.1794, Disc: Analogy

2)
Date:          Fri, 20 Dec 96 16:33:27 EST
From:  Deborah Schmidt <DSCHMIDT at uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject:       analogy

3)
Date:  Sat, 21 Dec 1996 02:10:01 -0700
From:  pmfarrell at ucdavis.edu (Patrick Farrell)
Subject:  Re: 7.1778, Disc: Analogy

4)
Date:  	Fri, 20 Dec 96 16:26 GMT-3:00
From:  <neulin!neulin.fmed.uba.ar!postmast at ccc.uba.ar>

Date:  Fri, 20 Dec 1996 14:26:36 +0100 (MET)
From:  "G.J. VANDEN WYNGAERD" <WYNGAERD at rullet.LeidenUniv.nl>

Sentences of the type

(1)	I saw the barn red

have been discussed in Hoekstra (1987) "Small Clause Results", Lingua 74,
101-39. Hoekstra observes that resultative complements only occur with
activity verbs. 'see (sth)' being an accomplishment, the construction does
not permit a resultative object complement. If 'see' is given the semantics
of an activity verb, the resultative construction becomes acceptable, as G.
Nathan points out:

>	Consider, for example, a world similar to that proposed in The
>Lathe of Heaven in which some person has the ability to change the
>color of objects merely by choosing to see them that way.  In such a
>case (1) becomes grammatical in just the same way as
>
>2)	I painted the barn red.
>
>	A change in the MEANING of `see' (or perhaps in the state of
>affairs in the world) renders the analogy fine.

While there is some truth to the claim formulated by the analogists that it
is something about the meaning of 'see' that makes (1) deviant, one would
still like make this general idea as precise as possible. The repeated
suggestion made on LINGUIST to the effect that certain analogies are
'unreasonable' or 'conceptually impossible' merely begs the question.
Observe that it is perfectly well possible to say

(3) The teacher watched his pupils into submission

with a verb ('watch') whose semantics is very close to 'see', but with the
difference that 'watch' is an activity verb. So it is not unreasonableness
or conceptual impossibility that is at stake here, but rather some more
subtle aspect of grammatical meaning that makes it impossible to draw
certain analogies.

The same holds for the easy/eager contrast: it is a truism to say that
ultimately some aspect of the meaning of both adjectives must entail that
they occur in different structural configurations; but saying that the
analogy is impossible because it is unreasonable or incompatible with the
meaning of 'eager' merely begs the question, which is, how do children
acquire the meaning difference between these words, and word meanings more
generally? While there are few insightful answers to give in this domain,
the classical poverty of the stimulus argument goes through to show that
large portions of this knowledge must be innate.

Guido vanden Wyngaerd