7.272, FYI: SIL Encore IPA fonts, Text analysis programs

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Feb 21 17:31:29 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-272. Wed Feb 21 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  186

Subject: 7.272, FYI: SIL Encore IPA fonts, Text analysis programs

Date:  Mon, 19 Feb 1996 08:36:09 CST
From:  Evan.Antworth at SIL.ORG (Evan L. Antworth)
Subject:  Re: 7.251, FYI: Phonetics fonts, List of Language Lists

2)
Date:  Sun, 18 Feb 1996 18:59:06 CST
From:  kemmer at ruf.rice.edu (Suzanne E Kemmer)
Subject:  text analysis programs

Date:  Mon, 19 Feb 1996 08:36:09 CST
From:  Evan.Antworth at SIL.ORG (Evan L. Antworth)

At 2:13 PM 2/16/96, The Linguist List wrote:
>Or you may obtain IPA fonts for Windows directly by e-mail:
>1. Create a message consisting of only this line:
>SEND/MODE=BLOCK/ENCODING=UUENCODE(FTP.FONTS.WIN)SILIPA12.EXE
>(Attention: replace the parenthesis by square brackets)

These instructions for obtaining the SIL Encore IPA fonts have one
small but fatal mistake in them; so at the risk of repetition, here is
how to obtain the fonts by various methods:

To obtain the SIL Encore IPA fonts by World Wide Web or Gopher:

Connect to our Web server at this URL:

  http://www.sil.org/

or connect to our Gopher server at this address:

  gopher.sil.org

and look under SIL resources for a pointer to SIL software and the
fonts.

To obtain the SIL Encore IPA fonts by FTP:
- ----------------------------------------

1. FTP to ftp.sil.org [198.213.4.1].

2. Log in as "anonymous" and give your e-mail address as the password.

3. To get the Windows version, do these commands:

      cd [.fonts.win]
      binary
      get silip12a.exe

This is a self-extracting archive.

You may also want to get KEYMAN, a keyboard redefinition program that
facilitates typing the IPA font. Do this command (in the same
subdirectory):

     get keyman.exe

4. To get the Macintosh version, do these commands (from the log-in
directory):

     cd [.fonts.mac]
     get silipa12.sea_hqx

This is a Binhex-encoded self-extracting archive. You will need a
Binhex program to decode it.

To obtain the SIL Encore IPA fonts for Windows by e-mail:

1. Create a message consisting of only this line:

SEND/MODE=BLOCK/ENCODING=UUENCODE [FTP.FONTS.WIN]SILIP12A.EXE

2. Send this message to:

     mailserv at sil.org

The file will arrive uuencoded. You will need a uudecoding program to
decode it.

You may also want to get KEYMAN, a keyboard redefinition program that
facilitates typing the IPA font. Use this command:

SEND/MODE=BLOCK/ENCODING=UUENCODE [FTP.FONTS.WIN]KEYMAN.EXE

To obtain the SIL Encore IPA fonts for Macintosh by e-mail:

1. Create a message consisting of only this line:

SEND [FTP.FONTS.MAC]SILIPA12.SEA_HQX

2. Send this message to:

     mailserv at sil.org

This is a Binhex-encoded self-extracting archive. You will need a
Binhex program to decode it.

The SIL Encore IPA fonts are also available on diskette for $5.00. Order from:

   International Academic Bookstore
   Summer Institute of Linguistics
   7500 W. Camp Wisdom Road
   Dallas, TX  75236  U.S.A.
   phone  214/709-2404
   fax    214/709-2433
   e-mail academic.books at sil.org

Send inquiries about the Encore fonts to: fonts at sil.org

Evan Antworth                    |  e-mail: evan.antworth at sil.org
Academic Computing Department    |  phone:  214-709-3346
Summer Institute of LInguistics  |  fax:    214-709-3363
7500 W. Camp Wisdom Road
Dallas, TX 75236
World Wide Web: http://www.sil.org
Gopher:         gopher.sil.org
FTP:            ftp.sil.org  [198.213.4.1]
Mailserver:     mailserv at sil.org (send "help" message)