7.6, Qs: Psycholing, Pausal alternations, Number words

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Jan 2 14:38:41 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-6. Tue Jan 2 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  158

Subject: 7.6, Qs: Psycholing, Pausal alternations, Number words

Date:  Tue, 19 Dec 1995 18:52:01 +0100
From:  fmdaly at tcd.ie (Vicki McCarthy)
Subject:  Psycholinguistics

2)
Date:  Tue, 26 Dec 1995 21:48:03 EST
From:  decaen at epas.utoronto.ca (Vincent DeCaen)
Subject:  "pausal" alternations

3)
Date:  Fri, 29 Dec 1995 13:26:19 EST
From:  awechsle at bbn.com (Allan Wechsler)
Subject:  number words

Date:  Tue, 19 Dec 1995 18:52:01 +0100
From:  fmdaly at tcd.ie (Vicki McCarthy)

Hello, my name is Vicki McCarthy,
and I am researching an area of psycholinguistics, concerning syntax and the
natural language context-particular, production, in structure and
sentential choice.

I am looking for an extensive grammar check as a writing skills tool, for
a specific language impairment particularly affected, under pressure of
rate of text generation.

I wonder if you could see your work being, with development applicable to
this; or if you might help me access anyone that you know of doing work
that would be applicable to computational NL linguistic aids operatable
on HP's, Pentium or DOS/Windows.
I am interested in forming a language production aid that would address a
situation of the following tendencies of a subject, in natural language
reference and sentence formulation:
1) a difficulty in choosing the word from the various alternatives, which
flash up on the subject's mental screen. Selection errors and compensatory
additions and also grammatical paraphrases can then result.
2) While with a high accuracy level on all tasks, often omitting specifying
whom or what is being referred to, this tendency problem may also be
described, as an over-appreciation, of the recursive structure unboundedly
complex, typically relevant ideal forms said to underlie the `conceptual
creativity' of syntax.
There is fluent delivery and excellent categorisation while at the same
time their mind inadvertently over-prepares itself quite often, as
suggested by spoken errors such as:
                                The beach was flowing with pebbles (water)
There is no impairment of the lexicon, or comprehensional analytical skills
and abilities.
3) There is the use of expression, which refers to or stands for an earlier
word or group of words/the repetition of the same word or phrase in several
successive clauses or sentences.
The task at hand is that of sequential co-ordinations necessary for the
production of connected speech.
Help is needed with choosing/proportionalising the use of the form of
syntax and word order, to a level of the task orientated relaying of
intentional (not only extensional) meaning of conceptualised ideas. A
repetitive syntactical patterned result would be satisfactory, as a
trade off for that of typical relevance in vocabulary choice.

     If there is any work and contact that you could relay to me at
                       fmdaly at tcd.ie
concerning this area of a computational research tools or developments,
applied linguistic, psycholinguistic, sociolinguistic, natural language
support, and communicational nature, I would be very grateful.

     Thank you in advance,
        V McCarthy